Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC 100Mb port on OSCM

Is anyone utilizing the UC 100Mb port on the OSCM module? I was wondering if anyone utilized it for CTC commiunications to remote sites?

6 Replies 6

chris-hart
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure why you would want to use it for CTC communications, there has to be an OSCM or OSC-CSM card at each end so you would create an OSC anyway. The Fast Ethernet UC is a Point to Point Ethernet link that is transported in the payload of the OSC STM1/OC3. I have used it in the past and it works well, from memory I don't think there is any setup required its just plug and play.

CTC is new to me, my thought was utilizing the fast Ethernet UC for increased bandwidth. I don't know if that might be helpful for things like snmp polling and maybe software upgrades?

Thanks for reply.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You would need to implement some type of switched network over multiple 100M links to build reliability into the CTC network. Each 100M channel is a point-to-point link between adjacent nodes. If their is a fiber cut, you would lose CTC visibility; unless their is a secondary path to reach the devices.

Thanks for reply. We have 5 nodes in a ring. I have one connection at a central office via router - ethernet switch-ons15454. We utilize DCC and proxy to talk to the res of the nodes. I was thinking of utilizing the UC channels at each remote node by connecting a ethernet switch at each node to TCC's and UC ports to form a single VLAN. Keep in mind this is just a thought I haven't completely thought it through yet or tested anything yet :-)

I think I understand what you are trying to do and technically it probably could be made to work however I don't think you would gain anything by doing it. By having the 5 nodes in a ring you already have protection against fibre breaks as the ONS15454 will re-route the data automatically unless you have disabled OSPF on the DCC links. I assume all your ONS15454's are in the same IP Subnet, if so then using the UC channel to create one VLAN over all sites like you described might work but it is totally unecessary in my opinion as the UC channel is transported in the OSC/DCC STM1/OC3 payload if you lose that you also lose the UC channel so there is really nothing to gain from using it.

Paul Lachance
Level 1
Level 1

Yes , WE have a 4 node ring and a 5 Node Linear our linear terminate beside one of the Rings node , so we connected the TCC2P from the linear Node to the OSC port on the Ring and Daisy chained the OSC ports around the RIng back to our Central site , where we have Dual connection on the Linear Nodes , so when one nodes fails we will have Visibilty of the nodes via the alternate path. Works great .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: