cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GSM to G711ulaw transcoding on IP to IP Gateway.

ShailendraK
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a 3745 configurad as an IP to IP gateway. I have a SIP trunk with G711ulaw to a Call Manager(5). There is another SIP trunk with GSM codec configured to another device. I can see that the transcoding does not kick in between G711 and GSM codec. For testing sake I tried to configure G729 to the second device and it works fine but not with GSM.

Does anybody have any suggestions/experience/information on this? Please let me know if you need more information aboout the configuration etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Shad

10 Replies 10

Hi Shad,

I think the feature you're looking for is called 'Universal Transcoding'.

Check out this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t15/it_unitr.html

The configuration is a little bit different than normal transcoding.

hth,

nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly how I have configured the Gateway. Again just to recap it works between G711ulaw and G729 for example but not G711ulaw and GSMFR or GSMEFR. Any suggestions?

Regards

Shad

Hi Shad,

Which IOS version are you on?

What codecs do you have enabled under the transcoder profile?

-nick

Hi Shad,

Do you also have the same voice-class codec on all of your dial peers? This is a restriction of CUBE currently that both the incoming and outgoing dial peer must have the same voice class codec.

As well - you're not using GSM AMR are you? This codec is only supported on the 5X00 boxes with additional licensing.

-nick

Hi Nick,

I could not get back to you on the weekend.

The IOS version I have tried are:

1. c3845-ipvoice_ivs-mz.123-11.YZ2.bin

2. c3845-entservices-mz.124-22.T.bin

I have different codecs on the dial-peers dial-peers. I have G711ulaw on one(to-from the CUCM 5) and GSMFR and GSMEFR on the other. The box I am using is 3845. I have all the above mentioned codecs configured under the Transcoder Profile. Please let me know if you want to have a look at the configurations and I will include an attachment.

Thanks again Nick.

Shad

12.3(11)YZ2 is too old for universal transcoding.

12.4(22)T1 would be OK, but you selected a non-IVS image.

Get the correct IOS image and try again.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Hope you do not mind my next question. Unfortunately I have to ask because I could not find any information on cisco.com.

Will you be able to tell if version 12.4.20-YA2(ED) would support the IP to IP transcoding? The reason I ask is because I only have 256 DRAM and 64 Flash. The versions highre than 12.4.20-YA2(ED)require 512 DRAM and 128 Flash for ivs image.

Thank you once again in advance.

Regards

Shad

I would use ipvoice_ivs. Note you mentioned 12.3 YA and not 12.4 YA in your previous message.

Hi Shad,

I would make sure I'm on the IVS image, even though the commands exist on other images. It's supposed to be an IPIPGW-only feature.

When you say you have different codecs - are they hard set on the dial peers, or are they in a codec class?

If they are in a codec class it will not work unless the two codec classes are the same.

-nick

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your help. I have tried all the recomendations made by you. The codec I need is GSM full-rate(gsmfr on the IOS). I seem to see it only in 12.3 IOS and the not the recent 12.4 versions. With this IOS(12.3), the transcoding is working between a TDM to IP call. It does not work between any IP to IP call.

Any more suggestions to make it work are welcome. Thanks again.

Shad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: