Views
Helpful
Replies

911!

dvanzee
Level 2
Level 2

CM4.2.3

I am setting up a site where the pstn gateway is located in a data center physically separate from the actual users. My problem is when the end user calls 911 it will show the location of the data center not the office location where the user is actually located. This site goes live in 2 weeks and we have confirmed with our Telco that we can't get pots lines ran into the office location before the go live date. Is there anything I can do with IPCC or CM that could help with this issue? Any thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

check with ATT about "inform 911" and there system. Im not sure how it works in Canada, but what I described should work here. The Physical Address of the PRI is in the system. (what the PSAP has) but with Inform 911 from ATT (and possibly other carriers) If you send the DID to the 911, and you updated the Emergency Repsone Locations in ATT's database, the local PSAP should see this then. The problem comes up we have found, it does not work between PSAP counties.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

what kind of interface are you using for the calls??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you could have your pri be configured for e911. then configure your dids respectively for each location. this will then update the psap database. (with att)

PRI. This site is located in Canada.

Ok so my Telco does support E911. Do I contact ATT directory or how do I start this process?

check with ATT about "inform 911" and there system. Im not sure how it works in Canada, but what I described should work here. The Physical Address of the PRI is in the system. (what the PSAP has) but with Inform 911 from ATT (and possibly other carriers) If you send the DID to the 911, and you updated the Emergency Repsone Locations in ATT's database, the local PSAP should see this then. The problem comes up we have found, it does not work between PSAP counties.

I am not the original poster, but was coming online to ask a similar question.... not trying to steal this thread but seem appropriate...

Is this the same as AT&T's:

"Locator ID Lite" (or Loc ID Lite)

service?

Basically, you can setup in Cisco UC (CME in my case) Emeregency Response Locations (ERL) and associate a DID number with that ERL. Then pay AT&T to associate an address (and or floor, area in a building, etc) to DID number.

NOTE: The "Lite" service is a one-time setup product (associate location with number) and the full product allows for customer to dynamically update the association.

So this allows Cisco UC to present the DID as the called number when dialing 911. Then the PSAP will get the ERL info and respond to the correct location.

I am looking to set this up and it sounds like you have an experience similiar to ours... AT&T wants us to use this "Locate ID Lite".

Senerio ...

Customer has 2 sites in the same state but different counties (as such different PSAP). We have each site connected to a PRI and connected together via a point-to-point T1 (WAN). We are looking to purchase the "Loc ID Lite" service and would like to use the "other site" PRI as a backup. In other words if Site A's PRI drops, E911 calls would be routed out Site B's PRI.

AT&T seems to think it will work (they are no experts on this ... at least who I am dealing with). It sounds like you are saying this would not work.

What is your experience ... does AT&T not route it to the correct PSAP? Or is the ERL info not given? What happens?

The problem I had was the customer had the following:

Almadeda County - Host location for CUCM/VGs/PRIs, etc.

San Mateo County - Remote Office that uses all PRIs, etc from the host location Alameda County.

We tried to input the address for San Mateo office off the Alameda PRI and ATT rejected it in their database. I have not completely understood why, but apparently (from my understanding) the PSAP (911 operators) will not transfer the call between Counties.??? Cisco seemed to verify this as well. But if you find other information out, please let us know! It seems to be a huge problem for everyone who sells CER or even wants to pay for the Inform 911 from ATT. And ATT has no brains what so ever around this.

If LOC ID Lite works, then this would solve the problem?

Its a little late, but the only way the scenario described would work is if a Selective Router is being utilized in your area. A Selective Router can route 911 calls to different PSAPs based on the Calling Number (in this case ELIN/DID). The only caveat is all of the PSAPS need to be serviced by the same Selective Router. This works well in major metropolitan areas, where there are many small PSAPs but won't work when you start crossing certain boundaries, not limited to but sometimes including county lines, states lines, etc...

Can you request this from the LEC or how does this work with the PSAPs? Would ATT know what we are talking if we request Selective Router?

Yes this is what we ended up deterining in our case. We were going between LATAs and no way would it work (as we did much more pushing with AT&T on the issue). We are going to use e911 lite on the campus with several buildings (builing / floor info passed) with a few POTS 911 failovers (generic campus info, no building specific info) and the other campus is small enough where e911 is not required so we are just routing calls as normal for 911 out only the local site's PRI and a failover POTS line.

Ameritech (AT&T) just doesn't have their act together, this is really pathetic IMHO.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: