Views
Helpful
Replies

bad voice quality with Unity

rvincent
Level 1
Level 1

Hi-

customer has a unity 4.0, which has been working in production for a few years.

Unity crashed one night last week and customer restarted it next morning. since then unity voice is garbled when listening to msg, auto att, etc.

no event viewer msg for crash. Also, pinging unity results in very long response for every 4th or 5th ping. Tried changing witch ports, using the other nic - ng. there are no network issues anywhere else.

yesterday found that one of the unity drives is dead. not sure if this caused crash or visa versa.

Could this be cause of bad voice? Has anyone seen anything like this?

not sure what to try besides replacing the dead drive.

thanks

rob

thanks

11 Replies 11

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In NIC teaming is turned on, try disabling it and test again.

thought of that, but teaming is not turned on

Rob

Hi Rob -

My two cents being added - boy, this sounds like a failing NIC to me. I've had the problem occur before on a Unity server and fixed it by disabling the bad NIC. Here's a thought - does the voicemail sound garbled when it's played back from inbox to PC speakers, i.e. not using Unity port and just streamed to PC from Exchange? Does it happen when you use a port for playback - via TRaP. The first way eliminates the phone as the playback device for testing.

Ginger

Ginger:

we had thought of the nic being bad so we changed to nic #2, but result was same.

I guess its possible both nic's could go bad but that seems unlikely.

customer has vm not um.

have never used trap.

thks

rob

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is it possible that disk space is an issue? If Unity goes below 1GB, Unity will start acting flaky and even stop answering if space gets too low. May not be the case, but just a thought...

Brad

Brad:

thks for idea but there is plenty of space - pretty small system

rob

Check to make sure the cards are hard coded to 100 Full and also the switch port is configured to 100 Full. If there is a mismatch, it will of course drop packets.

If you can, log into OWA on that server (since it's VM only) and download someone's voicemail wav file and play it on your computer. It's it garbled also on the recorded WAV file, it's not Exchange, or Unity, but something between the phone and the Unity server itself. (network related or CUCM TSP related)

What version TSP are you running? It would not hurt to update the TSP software as well and reboot

the unity system prompts and aa greetings as well as the vm msg's are garbled and these have been in place for years.

but we did download the aa greeting and played in on pc - its clear.

tsp is 7.0(4).

Rob

I'd say first, update your TSP software to latest and greatest. it sounds like there is audio issue between Unity and CUCM/IP Phones. If the downloaded message is clean and clear, this means the streamed from Exchange ----> to Unity---->to CUCM/Phones is messed up. To eliminate TSP, update it to the latest and greatest from CCO. I think it's 8.3.1, but not sure. Then reboot, and test again.

Rob,

The easiest way to cut the problem in half and determine if its the network is to span the switch port that Unity is plugged into and run Wireshark and capture on that port. Wireshark will allow you to rebuild the audio stream and play it back. Then you can determine what kind of quality is entering/exiting Unity and go from there.

http://wiki.wireshark.org/RTP_statistics

Hope that helps,

Brad

Guys:

the bad drive was replaced, mirroring finished - voice problem gone.

I have no idea what one had to do with the other. But the problem started when the server went down and drive went bad.

thanks for all your input

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: