Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Area 0 IP addressing

branfarm1
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to split my single area OSPF network into a multi-area deployment. Right now all the links between my core devices are either /30 or /29 in the 10.5.0.0/24 address space. My concern is that after splitting the areas there will still be some of those address spaces outside of Area 0. Should I change the address space I use in Area 0, and if so, what would you recommend?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes. A reasonable amount of prefixes to start thinking area segmentation is perhaps around 1000, with frequent flapping and intensive SPF recalc.

Instead you have a small network, try to keep it the simple as possible.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sorry, how may prefixes you have, any issue running area 0 only ?

The idea is exactly to avoid the issues you're going toward, and you didn't even began using it.

Well, we don't have any issues running area 0 only right now. Just that any reconvergence anywhere in the WAN causes the whole thing to reconverge. I know that's the point, but I wanted to do multi-area OSPF so that our future expansion can isolate individual sites from problems in the WAN.

Right now we have 3 sites, using LAN addresses 10.20.0.0 /16, 10.100.0.0 /16, and 10.70.0.0 /16, respectively. All of the WAN interfaces at all sites are subnets of 10.50.0.0/24.

I guess my overall goal was to add multiarea ospf so each site only had to advertise one summary route. Am I wasting my time?

Yes. A reasonable amount of prefixes to start thinking area segmentation is perhaps around 1000, with frequent flapping and intensive SPF recalc.

Instead you have a small network, try to keep it the simple as possible.

Thanks for the help. I'll be back when I hit 1000 :)

In the meanwhile you can get few cheap routers for a lab and experiment what if ...

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card