Views
Helpful
Replies

How to transform (?)

didik_atc
Level 1
Level 1

dear netpros,

I am a really new comer, would you guys tell me 'bout trunk/aggregation?

I have 3 ethernet connection which has 1 mbps bandwidth each. I am using a load balanceing hardware (TL-R488T TP-link)to combine all of my ethernet. as my network growing, I want to replace my load balance hardware with a trunking hardware (I am not sure, wether it is a router or switch), and it can handle 4 WANs or more.

Could you please tell me, what type of hardware will capable in doing my needs?

and if possible, the hardware is as easy as my load balance hardware (plug and play or as minimum setting)

Thank you very much for your kind attention

Regards,

didik

9 Replies 9

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

All Cisco switches are 802.3ad compilant so you can form multi-port trunks, that automatically load balance on src/dst MAC Address. In the high end switches you can also load balance on src/dst IP address.

HTH>

Thanks andrew, but could you please recommend a type or series of the switch? because this is really new to me. and what is the approximate price for the product? I need at least the swith which has 4 ports ethernet (RJ45 ports copper)

thanks a lot for your help

OK - a nice basic switch would be the Cisco 500 Express series. More specifically the WS-CE500-24TT - 24 port switch:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6545/product_data_sheet0900aecd80322aeb.html

About 350.0 GBP

Wow, you really are a great man andrew, thanks a lot for your help so far.

some more final questions before purchasing cisco's product.

Are you really sure that cisco 500 express WS-CE500-24TT will suit my network? For your information, I am using ADSL modems with RJ45 port. I am wondering about how to operate this cisco. is it just as easy as my load balance hardware? no complicated setting, just simply set PPPoE and connect. are those all 24 ports available for ISPs and all ports capable for trunking object?

I think 350 GBP is reasonable.

thank you very much andrew.

Cisco switches can be tricky to configure and get working, most of the time they are just plug and play. For what you want to do, it could be a little more complicated.

Let me ask:-

1) What make/module of ADSL modems do you have?

2) What is you current load balance hardware?

I have Billion BiPAC5210S modems, I set them in bridge mode, so PPPoE function is handled by load balance hardware.

and I am using a TP-link product, TL-R488T for balancing the ethernet traffic.

http://www.jogjabolic.com/?p=137

I am still expecting your advise.

thank you very much

Based on the tech information of the TP-Link product, I do not know of any Cisco decvice that performs the same function as you are using - sorry.

No andrew, I am not looking for cisco's product which performs the same function as my TP-link. my TP-link is a load balance hardware, and I want to replace the link load balance with trunk/aggregation of link. so, of course they must perform differently. The biggest clue is, will my ADSL modems suit the cisco 500 express WS-CE500-24TT?

If your ADSL modems support 802.3AD then yes..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco