cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum Phone Number

dcomdan
Level 1
Level 1

Since our UC520 was set up using CLI we were able to run single phone extensions for multiple phones.  In other words, I can have a desk phone, a IPC phone, and even a home handset without problem.  When I open CCA in the Telephone/Voice directory under the users tab it shows me errors where this is already being done and I can't make a change unless I correct the information outlined in red boxes.  What do I do.  I have an IPC client on a new laptop and want to delete my old IPC user profile.  I can't because I can't make the change.  Additionally, it says I am at the maximum number of users.  There are only 3 of us  Using 7 extensions.  Is the licensing based on phones or actual unique extensions?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks  Dan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dan,

I'm afraid that CCA does not support the full range of configurations that can be implemented using CLI, and it is generally not feasible to use CCA to manage a system that was originally built using CLI without spending a fair amount of time ensuring that the original CLI configuration is CCA compatible.

To address your specific questions: CCA does not currently support the use of a shared line as a primary extension on a phone, though we have plans to address that in an upcoming release.  As such, you will not be able to use CCA to make the change you wish to make - this will need to be performed using CLI.  Specifically, you will need to change the mac-address parameter under the ephone record that corresponds to your current IP Communicator.

Regarding the licensing on the platform, it is based on device count.  So an 8U UC500 will support 8 phones (actually 10 - you get a little extra headroom for flexibility), where a phone is either a physical phone, or a softphone such as IP Communicator.

Cheers,

Dave.

View solution in original post

I'm hoping it will be in the next major release planned for availability in a couple of months, but I don't know for sure - That is a decision for the CCA product team to make, and I will let them provide a definitive answer.  And you are correct, it is a fairly common request.

Cheers,

Dave.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dan,

I'm afraid that CCA does not support the full range of configurations that can be implemented using CLI, and it is generally not feasible to use CCA to manage a system that was originally built using CLI without spending a fair amount of time ensuring that the original CLI configuration is CCA compatible.

To address your specific questions: CCA does not currently support the use of a shared line as a primary extension on a phone, though we have plans to address that in an upcoming release.  As such, you will not be able to use CCA to make the change you wish to make - this will need to be performed using CLI.  Specifically, you will need to change the mac-address parameter under the ephone record that corresponds to your current IP Communicator.

Regarding the licensing on the platform, it is based on device count.  So an 8U UC500 will support 8 phones (actually 10 - you get a little extra headroom for flexibility), where a phone is either a physical phone, or a softphone such as IP Communicator.

Cheers,

Dave.

Great, thanks for the information.  I'll open a TAC case and make the change with the MAC address.  Any idea how far out the CCA update is that will accomidate that feature.  Seems like it would be a pretty common thing on a normal phone system.

Thanks again

Dan

I'm hoping it will be in the next major release planned for availability in a couple of months, but I don't know for sure - That is a decision for the CCA product team to make, and I will let them provide a definitive answer.  And you are correct, it is a fairly common request.

Cheers,

Dave.

The shared line feature is on our roadmap, though we can't provide an exact release data at this time.

Thanks,

Marcos

fbogucanin
Level 1
Level 1

Question on licensing:

- If my customer has 16 people who may be using either hard or soft phones, does it mean that I need at least a 32U-licensed UC520 or higher?

- Also, which IP Communicator software is supported by UC520 - IPCOMM7-SW or SW-IPCOMM-E1?

Thanks,

Frank

Every registered phone will need a license.

Cisco IP COmmunicator is the supported softphone on UC500.

Steven,

Thanks for the response.

In terms of Cisco IP Communicator, data sheets show SW-IPCOMM-E1 (which appears to be version 2.1) as supported by UC520. However, the latest version is IPCOMM7-SW - I would rather use the latest version 7 if it's supported.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Frank

I use version 7 and it works, yes.

On Aug 3, 2010, at 6:35 PM, "fbogucanin"

Thanks, Steven.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: