cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

email problems after switch upgrade

fedsmanpasani
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having problems with email, users that are connected on the patch panel and straight to the back bone (Catalist 6500 Eseries) are able to send and receive emails without any problems, but users that are connected thru 2960 floor switches are able to receive but can't send emails within or outside the organisation. is there any setting I need to change on the switch to enable these clients send emails using exchange server 2003?. Any help?

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, you probably have a major connectivity problem for the 2960 users, so check carefully what has been done.

on the switches it was just assigning IP addresses, its also using the default Vlan, the users are able to access internet and at times some emails can be sent, Outlook 2003 whihc is installed on the client computers is also indicating "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from exchange". but nothing of that sort from users who have been connected direct to the Back bone.

When you send mail, you establish a connection between client and server.

Start checking if that connection is OK with the usual tools, ping, traceroute, etc.

If you have no experience in networking, seek professional help.

I have checked the connections, I'm able to ping from the client computers to the switch, backbone and the other servers on the network and the users are able to access shared folders which is hosted by one of the server.

But what I'm not understanding is the fact that the users are able to receive emails and failing to send.

Try a packet capture on a PC, lots of things a often revealed doing this.

Make sure your VLAN's are correct. Most switch upgrade problems are caused by users in the wrong VLANs or some swith have VLANs pruned.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card