CCNA Voice

Unanswered Question
Feb 7th, 2009

Hi all,

I'm about to start the CCNA Voice cert and am hoping some of you can share with me your methods of studying, which books, tools used etc. Although I do like Ciscopress and have a copy sitting infront of me, it tends to go into too much detail. I'm looking for a source that will give me the facts point blank (so to speak).

Thanks in advance

Sachin

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
crow930us Sat, 02/07/2009 - 07:42

I haven't found much either. The CCNA Voice book written by Jeremy Cioara is the one I think you are referring to. You also have the CBT course that Jeremy put out.

There is also a CCNA Voice Quick Reference guide which is written by Michael Valentine.

So far those are the main referrences I have for the CCNA Voice material.

If you have access to Cisco Live they have a 90 minute course there also.

hth

Sachin.bhamra Sat, 02/07/2009 - 08:08

Thanks Crow930us,

I have all the mentioned materials but I guess since I'm so used to using Chris Byrant's material for the CCNP, was hoping for something simular. Guess I'll have to keep pestering him to bring out his CCNA Voice study guide.

Cheers

dezoconnor Sun, 02/08/2009 - 23:39

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind me adding a question onto this thread. What would you guys find useful in helping you study, more concise study guides, hands-on remote labs to practice commands, one-on-one tutoring?

TIA for your responses.

Sachin.bhamra Mon, 02/09/2009 - 12:22

I would have to say a bit of everything.

1) I prefer reading 2 sets of books from different authors as they word things differently and put them into different contexts. Example Chris Bryant gets down to the nuts and bolts and gives you the plain facts broken down so simple folk like me can understand. Jeremy Cioara uses extravagant words and weird pictures but this different approach he uses WORKS, meaning the weird pictures he uses in his video's are so weird that you actually remember them, then when you remember them you tie that picture to the content. Brilliant approach to learning.

So more study guides is a must, different authors use different methods and I like to read / watch different sets then write what I've learnt down in my own words.

2) Never had much experience with remote labs as I've used my own labs and simulators but hands on is definately a must. A person reading a book from cover to cover will get bored. Fact. When you get bored your attention drifts and your learning abilities slow down. So what I prefer to do is read a chapter on something (i.e. STP) then go put it into practise on the nearest switch. Even if I'm just copying commands I've just seen, but its a proven fact that when you physically go through the motions of setting up the crossover cables, switching the switches on, running the commands.. it embeds this process into your mind making it second nature to you. Not only is it fun to the little geeks within us, but it is also a great way to learn. Because when you go back to that thick neverending book you can anticipate what the author is going to say next and that is fun.

3) One to One tutoring is good and I'm going to talk about video learning because although I'm up for classroom learning I'm not a big fan of this (because the tutor has a set deadline to meet and everyone MUST keep up). Video tutoring is the best because you can rewind, pause and practise what you've learnt. Only downside to that is you don't get instant answers to any questions you may have.

However I'm all for visual learning, it reinforces everything you have read and more.

Going back to CCNA Voice, although there is only 1 Ciscopress book and 1 CBT Nuggets for this, I only hope this is enough.. Not just to pass the exam, but to learn and understand the material.

Thanks for reading, I know I need to get out a bit more!

Justin Brenton Fri, 02/13/2009 - 02:37

The guides and CBT available by Jeremy Cioara is definately enough material to pass.

Along with some practice of your own on the IOS.

Regards,

Justin

Actions

This Discussion