Don't let the user name fool you. I'm a moron.
Can someone tell me how to set the clock rate on a cisco router for the serial port? Please help. I'm new to Cisco Routers.
1. Nobody knows something before he/she actually learns it. Calling yourself names won't help to set the clock rate, so try to be more positive :-)
2. As Paolo suggested, you should determine if setting the clock rate is actually required on your side.
3. If you are connected to a provider, the provider normally supplies the clock.
4. If you are trying to set up some lab and you want to connect 2 routers back-to-back you could have a look at this document:
As it is stated there, "router connected to the DCE cable must provide clocking" (one side is DTE and the other is DCE).
5. You can use the "show controllers serial" command to check what kind of cable is attached to your interface and if you are receiving clock (search the output for phrases like: "DTE cable attached", "DCE cable attached", "received clockrate").
p.s. Nice seeing you around again Paolo!