cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the technical difference among:Ethertnet,Fastet and GigEthernet?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, I understand that Ethernet (10Mbps) FastEthernet (100Mbps) and GigEthernet (1Gbps) have same frame (IEEE 802.3) and operate with CSMA/CD.

Then on the GigEthernet, I understand that the CMSA/CD scheme was enhanced with carrier extension and frame bursting.

Is the information above correct or I am missing something to explain how the Fast and Gigbitethernet can deliver higher speeds?

2 Replies 2

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

In my opinion you get higher speed becuase of better technology available to make Transmitter/Receiver operating at those higher speed, modulation techniques etc.

CSMA/CD is basically reducing your speed when same media is shared by several users whereas most of the network is switched where CSMA/CD is not used.

Enhanced carrier extension and frame bursting for Gig etherent is method to use CSMA/CD for higher speed.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Gigabit speeds are achieved by running data across all 8 wires as opposed to just using wires 1,2,3 and 6 . You must have 4 good pairs of wires within the data path otherwise it wilkl only negotiate 100 meg or lower. For a real technical answer just google it .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card