Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC remote capturing (SNIFF MODE)

Johannes Luther
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Board,

There's the sniffing option in the APs modes. After enabling it, rebooting the AP and adjusting the sniffed channel and destination, the controller sends packets to UDP/5000 with the destination address of the configured destination.

So far so good.

What capturing tool is used to decode the UDP packets as 802.11 packets. I guess, that the UDP payload is the original 802.11 packet.

So has anyone done something like that before? The documentation is very poor on that topic.

Oh - I'm using some 4.2 Version

Thanks in advance! Wbr

Joe

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

The controller enables you to configure an access point as a network "sniffer," which captures and forwards all the packets on a particular channel to a remote machine that runs packet analyzer software. These packets contain information on timestamp, signal strength, packet size, and so on. Sniffers allow you to monitor and record network activity and to detect problems.

Configuring Wireless Sniffing:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5.2/configuration/guide/c52err.html#wp1042843

Thanks, but how to configure wireless sniffing is crystal clear. That wasn't my question after all. How do I enable Wireshark to capture/interprete that traffic. And I doesn't talk about capturing UDP Packets from the controller with the 802.11 packet as UDP-payload.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card