Views
Helpful
Replies

Power outage = no more Telnet/SSH

Michael Hutt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

my company had a power outage over the weekend that apparently lasted longer than the UPS' could handle, and several of our switches lost power. No big deal, I back up the running configs every night at midnight, but now I'm unable to SSH/Telnet in to two of my switches (they're physically on top of each other). They seem to be functioning fine otherwise, and I can access them via HTTP, they react to pings and the attached clients haven't called to complain about network access, but I can't figure out why SSH support is suddenly gone.

Anyone have any ideas? Would rebooting the switches help?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Someone has likely forgot to save configuration. You need to connect locally, reconfigure, save.

In critical applications it's also important to do a power failure test to see if everything come back up as expected.

That's just the thing... I remember saving the configs on Friday, which I can confirm by the fact that what I changed still works today, with the power failure in between. The only thing that's not how it should be is the SSH access...

Invariably once on site you will identify some detail.. It's not a known problem so you will need to do your investigations.

Can you "cluster" into the two switches?

Presume the following:

Working switch = SwitchA

Notworking switch = SwitchB

Here's how it works (hoping you got the right IOS):

SwitchA#sh cdp neighbor

! To see if you can see SwitchB.

SwitchA#config t

SwitchA(config)#cluster enable SwitchA

! This line enables clustering on the working switch.

SwitchA#end

SwitchA#sh cluster candidate

! Look for SwitchB's MAC address.

SwitchA#config t

SwitchA(config)#cluster member mac password

! Takes about 3 seconds if all goes well. You'll get "password incorrect" if the password is wrong. If you get "Access Denied" or something ... can't be helped anymore.

SwitchA(config)#end

SwitchA#rc 1

! Remote Cluster to the "first" switch (aka SwitchB)

Hope this works.

Michael Hutt
Level 1
Level 1

I figured out what the problem was. Apparently the power outage and subsequent reboot caused the switches to chanve the access-class for the VTY lines, meaning they were set for an access-list that didn't exist.

I swear I don't know how that happened. I was on both switches two day before via SSH because I needed to configure ports for new clients there, and I saved the configs. Strange.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card