Views
Helpful
Replies

multicast receiver's source ip address

yuhuiyao
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Does a multicast receiver need an ip address to receive multicast traffic?

Can I just leave my NIC's ip configuration blank?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

IGMP is an IP protocol, just like ICMP, meaning it will still have the IP header with source/destination etc.

I think you might be confusing the main feature of IGMPv3 which is SSM or Source-Specific Multicast. This allows an IGMPv3 client (i.e. your PC) to specify a source that it wants to receive a stream from.

Very basic description but a quick google brings up http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1t/12_1t5/feature/guide/dtigmpv3.html which will probably explain it better than I ever could :)

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What are you talking about? What is your NIC and why you want to leave it blank?

In most cases, no address == all IP processing disabled.

you'd better test yourself before answering my question.

No, you have to learn education, as you arrived last but with much ignorance.

Without doubt, with your attitude you will soon learn a lesson or two. Good luck.

Calm down dude. No reason to get angry. My advice to you is: set up a lab and test yourself. Do not take for granted. Thanks for answering my question, though the answer is useless.

What's really useless here is your attitude and use of the rating system.

I made enough labs to know that what I said in my first reply is correct.

Now go ahead, rate 1 this post as well and further make a fool of yourself.

peterlmyers
Level 1
Level 1

If your NIC has no IP how would it speak IGMP?

If you had another client on the network and the switch was set to simply broadcast multicast traffic then sure, you could capture the stream in promiscuous mode...

Cheers

thanks for your reply.

When running with IGMPv3, can the ip address of the receiver be any random ip? IGMPv2 has no source ip field, while IGMPv3 has it.

IGMP is an IP protocol, just like ICMP, meaning it will still have the IP header with source/destination etc.

I think you might be confusing the main feature of IGMPv3 which is SSM or Source-Specific Multicast. This allows an IGMPv3 client (i.e. your PC) to specify a source that it wants to receive a stream from.

Very basic description but a quick google brings up http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1t/12_1t5/feature/guide/dtigmpv3.html which will probably explain it better than I ever could :)

Hope this helps

Thanks, rated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card