cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1 Vlan Download Problem

zztopping
Level 4
Level 4

We are running LMS3.1 and many switches are reporting as "partially successful" due to the VLAN download failing with this error:

"Command failedTELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to X.X.X.X - Cause: Authentication failed on device 3 times" (where x.x.x.x is our real ip)

Credentials have been checked (running and startup configs are being downloaded successfully)

Another user is having a similar problem, and jclarke reported they are hitting bug CSCsq66458, but that seems to only apply to devices without a vlan.dat in the flash, while many of ours do have a vlan.dat, yet still fail.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That's the problem. If you disable this, vlan.dat fetch will work.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I've been helping another user with a similar problem. While your issue may be different, you should try some of the things I've outlined in this post:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&topicID=.ee71a02&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc2eb54

I am currently set to SSH first then TELNET as a fallback. TFTP is not allowed at all for config fetching.

If I just sync the archive for one device i get the following error output:

*** Device Details for XXXXXX ***

Protocol ==> SSH

Selected Protocols with order ==> SSH,Telnet

Execution Result:

RUNNING

Primary Login Succeeded

/ Primary Enable Succeeded

CM0061 PRIMARY RUNNING Config fetch SUCCESS for XXXXXX, no change in configuration.

VLAN

CM0151 VLAN RUNNING Config fetch failed for XXXXXXX Cause: Command failedCommand failed Action: Check if protocol is supported by device and required device package is installed. Check device credentials. Increase timeout value, if required.

I guess the logical next step would be to sniff the traffic, but that is fairly difficult for me...anything else I should try before that?

You can enable ArchiveMgmt Service debugging under RME > Admin > System Preferences > Application Loglevel Settings, and re-run the job. The dcmaservice.log will have the transaction.

Ah. I see the problem:

[ Mon Feb 09 16:18:42 EST 2009 ],DEBUG,[Thread-502],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,Returning from interact('copy flash:vlan.dat tftp:'):

{

Address or name of remote host []? XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

TFTP: error code 2 received - 16739

%Error opening tftp://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/vlan.dat (Permission denied)

XXXXXXXXXX#}

The IP in X's is the IP of Ciscoworks server. Any idea why its saying permission denied?

Do you have "file prompt quiet" configured?

Actually, yes we do.

That's the problem. If you disable this, vlan.dat fetch will work.

Thanks, that appears to be the exception to the rule for our config standards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: