cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

site's slowness

wuh
Level 1
Level 1

We have many sites in our network that connect to HQ through t1/t3. Sometimes, one of them feel slow. I can isolate the problem is the traffic is too high, using up the band with.

My question for you is:

when this happens, why all the applications in the users' computers are slow? the computers are freezing?

Thank you!

Han

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the other computer applications also are depending on network communications, and the network is congested, especially if there's no QoS, then all those applications will often slow or have problems too. Applications using just local computer resouces usually aren't impacted.

Joe:

Thanks! But what i dont quite understand is why applicatoins like Outlook, IE, freeze and making you can't do anything else but wait? My understanding would be that the applications that depend on network can freeze but others, such word when you are not opening the network file, should freeze.

Is there settings that i can take care of?

thanks,

Han

Does your Outlook communicate with a mail server that's on the network? Does it auto poll for new inbox mail? Address book updates?

With IE, nothing on a page is coming via the network?

I wouldn't expect something like Word to have a problem openning a local disk file, but that's also assuming all the application components are also local, user profile storage is local, etc.

Perhaps background security verification, even opening a local disk file, is hitting AD across the network.

For a quick test, you might try, disconnecting host from the network and see how applications work.

Joe,

Thanks!

Han

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco