Dunno where to post this possible hardware problem. But here it goes.
I bought 17 new routers with the following (all new).
- Model: Cisco 2811 Router
- DRAM: 256MB
- FLASH: 128MB
- 2 x FastEthernet
- 1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
- IOS: c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-21.bin
They are to replace existing Cisco 2600 Routers.
I encountered a problem with one of the 2811 router. The serial interface is up/down non-stop. Here are the steps that I did so far;
1. I change the WIC-2T of the problem router from 16 routers that is working
- The problem continues
2. Call the Telco to check the line.
- No problem with the line
3. I change the WIC-2T with WIC-1T
- The problem stops and line working fine
4. Sent "show tech-support" and problem description to my vendor. They sent an RMA router (looks new).
- The problem continues with WIC-2T but not with WIC-1T
5. I try all my old WIC-2T from store room and only the WIC-2T with Board Revision J0 works.
Serial 2T (12in1)
Hardware revision 1.0 Board revision J0
Serial number 30727202 Part number 800-03181-01
FRU Part Number WIC-2T=
Test history 0x0 RMA number 00-00-00
Connector type PCI
EEPROM format version 1
EEPROM contents (hex):
0x20: 01 12 01 00 01 D4 Dc 22 50 0C 6D 01 00 00 00 00
0x30: 98 00 00 00 03 07 23 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
I remember 6 years ago when Cisco release a range of device serial numbers with defects (I think that was Cisco Catalyst Switches whic it hits 4 of my switches). I was wondering if cisco have a similar issue with 2811 Routers and I happen to get both the 17th router I purchase and the RMA router.
Since my vendor has no clue what is going on (not sure if they share the problem with Cisco), I asked my vendor to ask Cisco to replace the WIC-2T with Board Revision J0 as thats the WIC-2T that works with my 17th router. However, Cisco has sent a WIC-2T to us multiple times (3 times) but its not Revision J0. They even asked us to take a photo of the WIC-2T board in my 17th router :)
Any idea what causing this?
Thanks in advance.