Deleted all Files in Flash.

Answered Question
Feb 10th, 2009

Hi,

I did something really stupid. I deleted all the files in flash and now when the switch boot up, it cannot find the IOS to load and gives the "switch :" prompt. I was trying to boot it into ROMMON mode and copying the ios which I have downloaded over the console cable

Any ideas on the best way to get the IOS back on this switch quick smart.

Thanks a million

Anthony.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by peterlmyers about 7 years 11 months ago

Hi Anthony,

If you are sure you have copied a new IOS over to the flash it's possible there's an old "boot system" command left in the config that is telling the switch to boot the old image file - presumably non-existant now.

If this is the case you should be able to do the following from switch: mode -

flash_init

load_helper

dir flash:

boot flash:FILE_NAME

If this boots be sure to modify the "boot system" line in the config.

Otherwise you will need to copy a new IOS over, in which case there's a guide for the 3750 at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

Hope this helps

Cheers

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
peterlmyers Tue, 02/10/2009 - 02:24

Hi Anthony,

If you are sure you have copied a new IOS over to the flash it's possible there's an old "boot system" command left in the config that is telling the switch to boot the old image file - presumably non-existant now.

If this is the case you should be able to do the following from switch: mode -

flash_init

load_helper

dir flash:

boot flash:FILE_NAME

If this boots be sure to modify the "boot system" line in the config.

Otherwise you will need to copy a new IOS over, in which case there's a guide for the 3750 at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

Hope this helps

Cheers

Anthony O'Reilly Tue, 02/10/2009 - 03:03

Hi Peter,

I haven't even got that far yet. I am looking for advise on how to copy the ios image from my pc to the switch (which has no ios in flash) via the console cable.

Thanks

Anthony.

adamclarkuk_2 Tue, 02/10/2009 - 03:12

Hi Anthony

He has answered your question, if you read the link it will explain how to use xmodem to copy the IOS over.

Actions

This Discussion