Certification Madness

Unanswered Question
Feb 10th, 2009

I have just found out that to become CCSP Certified you now have to have a pre requisite of CCNA Security.

What a load of crap.

I am working towards CCNP, already passed my CCNA. My plan after passing my CCNP was to take the CCSP - now it looks like I would have to go back to CCNA stage and do that first! Even with a profesional certification!

Sometimes Cisco make some really stupid decisions. I have been configuring firewalls of all makes for years, designing DR aswell and feel it would be a traversty to then have to mess around doing CCNA Security before going for the CCSP - even after doing years of work and having a valid CCNP.

Sorry for ranting but sometimes Cisco realy do make some ridiculous decisions.

With the years of experience I would have by the time I get my CCNP I might aswell go for CISSP.

Well done Cisco.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
ccannon88567 Tue, 02/10/2009 - 02:36

Oh - And it now looks like you cant just take your ARCH exam to become CCDP too! You now have to do A CCDA!

Absolute crap!

Yet there are still no pre requisites to take your CCIE!

CISCO = Profit

Makes me wonder why I have invested so much money....

paul_alexander Tue, 02/10/2009 - 03:23

Its always been a requisite of CCDP to have your CCDA.

Also, CCNA Security replaced one of the required CCSP exams (SND). So really, you're no worse off.

andrew.fedyszak... Thu, 02/19/2009 - 07:49

This is good point from Paul. I agree that Cisco just confused the issue by replacing SND with CCNA Security. In practice little changed apart from exam versions and some cirriculum changes driven by technology. You needed and still need to pass 5 exams to become CCSP with 4 core (compulsory) exams being the same:

CCNA Security (old SND)

SNAF (this is mainly GUI based though, unlike old SNPA exam)

Then one of the electives:

So Cisco claim no certification page that you need 4 exams to become CCSP is nonsense. They just exclude CCNA Security from CCSP certification path for some reason.

This Discussion