Frame or PPP to Ethernet Interworking

Unanswered Question
Feb 10th, 2009

Does anyone know if it is possible to interwork FR/PPP to Ethernet? In other words, I need to hand a customer Ethernet while terminating Frame or PPP on my PE router. Right now I was looking at a Cisco 1721 to do it with...but no luck so far.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jimmy.anderson Tue, 02/10/2009 - 07:05

Thanks but I don't think that will work in this situation. I have T1's being used as the transport, but my customer wants an Ethernet hand-off.

Paolo Bevilacqua Tue, 02/10/2009 - 07:08

PPPoE means PPP over Ethernet. So you give Ethernet to your customer and there is a PPP connection on it.

Of course, you can do the same but without PPP.

Richard Burts Tue, 02/10/2009 - 08:55

Jimmy

Perhaps there is some aspect of your requirements that is not clear to me. You describe the requirement as being that you need to have a T1 outbound and you need to give a customer an Ethernet handoff. I would assume that you want to take the customer data from the Ethernet and send it out the T1. That should be a relatively simple process for just about any Cisco router including the 1721. But you say you have no success with it. Perhaps you can supply a few details about what you did on the 1721 and what the problems were.

HTH

Rick

jimmy.anderson Tue, 02/10/2009 - 09:52

thanks for the response....Yes that will work as long as you are routing. I need Layer 2 through the 1721 router. Anyway, we have come up with another solution. Thanks anyway!

Actions

This Discussion