cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame or PPP to Ethernet Interworking

jimmy.anderson
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if it is possible to interwork FR/PPP to Ethernet? In other words, I need to hand a customer Ethernet while terminating Frame or PPP on my PE router. Right now I was looking at a Cisco 1721 to do it with...but no luck so far.

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Probably you want PPPoE, a very common technology for broadband access.

Thanks but I don't think that will work in this situation. I have T1's being used as the transport, but my customer wants an Ethernet hand-off.

PPPoE means PPP over Ethernet. So you give Ethernet to your customer and there is a PPP connection on it.

Of course, you can do the same but without PPP.

Jimmy

Perhaps there is some aspect of your requirements that is not clear to me. You describe the requirement as being that you need to have a T1 outbound and you need to give a customer an Ethernet handoff. I would assume that you want to take the customer data from the Ethernet and send it out the T1. That should be a relatively simple process for just about any Cisco router including the 1721. But you say you have no success with it. Perhaps you can supply a few details about what you did on the 1721 and what the problems were.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks for the response....Yes that will work as long as you are routing. I need Layer 2 through the 1721 router. Anyway, we have come up with another solution. Thanks anyway!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card