cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP 1131

gbarden
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Cisoc AP 1131's. One is upstairs and the other is downstairs. I am getting complaints from users that they are getting dropped from the wireless network and sometimes a user upstairs may connect to the WAP downstairs. Is there a way to control which WAP a user connects to? My company will not allow me to purchase Wireless LAN Controllers. Thanks for any help.

3 Replies 3

mark.cronin
Level 2
Level 2

Have you done a site survey?

Can you check that your APs are on different channels ie

Upstairs channel 1

Downstairs channel 11

Also can you check for other APs in the area by using Netstumbler or Vistumbler

You should try to avoid the channels that these APs are using

Mark

Yes, they are on different channels, chanel 4 and 9. However they are not hard coded to the channels. Should I manually set them?

You should always try to hard-set them for 1, 6, or 11. The reason is that these are the only three channels that do not overlap with each other. 4 and 9 overlap very slightly.

You can do MAC-based authentication if you'd like to go that far. The problem with that is if one AP goes down, your hosts on that AP won't be able to attach to the other one. Still, it's easy enough to disable, and it might be good to do for testing purposes.

To do a simple MAC blacklist, issue the following commands in config mode:

access-list 700 deny xxxx.xxxx.xxxx 0000.0000.0000

(repeat as needed)

access-list 700 permit 0000.0000.0000 ffff.ffff.ffff

dot11 association mac-list 700

That will block all MAC addresses you want to blacklist from a particular AP. If you want to disable to blacklist, simply input:

no dot11 association mac-list 700

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card