cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with users accessing CIFS; anonymous username being sent.

rickbennett
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently running WebVPN on a Cisco ASA 5500.

ASA Version: 8.0(4)8

ASDM Version: 6.1(5)

I have a CIFS share setup. I am a Domain Administrator on our 2003 AD domain, and when I log in to the VPN, I click on the CIFS share, and get prompted for my username and password. When I enter the username as DOMAIN\ACCOUNT and my password, I am able to browse the CIFS share.

However, when I have a user that is not a domain admin perform the same task, they get an error "Authentication Error", and cannot access the same CIFS share.

I checked the event viewer of the server, and I see that when a Domain User attempts to access the CIFS share, it is throwing an event ID 529, and the username being passed is anonymous, and not their DOMAIN\Account name.

I have checked both my account, and the other user's accounts, and our primary group is Domain Users.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

This is sounds like it could absolutely be related to CSCsk91498. After instrumenting code I saw the user name being incorrectly parsed and set as the host when there were special characters in the password (I tested with '#'). If you have the # character (or potentially other special characters) in your password this is the same issue. Even if not, the two still might be related.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

This is sounds like it could absolutely be related to CSCsk91498. After instrumenting code I saw the user name being incorrectly parsed and set as the host when there were special characters in the password (I tested with '#'). If you have the # character (or potentially other special characters) in your password this is the same issue. Even if not, the two still might be related.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: