Views
Helpful
Replies

the amount of routes on layer 3 switch

xiaoliangyue
Level 1
Level 1

hi, gang,

Is it a good practice to put 450 static routes on a layer 3 switch? just because there are 2 ISP's to connect. I wonder how the performance is.

Thanks,

Jon

4 Replies 4

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

The performance will be fine since what is worng with this is the amount of static route you will need to manage manually. But the performance should be okay if not better since there is no routing table that needs to be updated and populated dynamically.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jon,

it can be done but I would move to eBGP connections where you receive just a few routes from one ISP and only a default route from the other one.

(other arrangaments are possible like receiving few specific routes and a default route from each provider)

This allows also for a better behaviour during faults: failure detection is far better.

Static routes if an intermediate device is on the middle become a problem

I would recommend to ask the providers about a BGP session where you put a filter and accepts only some routes (the ones you want) from each.

otherwise reliable static routing but 450 routes are difficult to manage

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

The (SDM prefer routing) provides a config template for a switch database Managment for Resource allocation.

It's also rely on the Type of Switches Models & series..

HTH

Mohamed

Thanks guys. The bunch of static routes are just for routing optimization. the redundancy is achieved by 2 default routes. The difficulty to manage hundreds of static routes manually is anticipated. As long as the switch can handle such a big routing table, it's fine.

Mohamed, not sure what you're referring to, can you pls elaborate a little bit? thx.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card