Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE: FT (Fault-Tolerant) configuration problem

aperez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the next problem: I've configured a ft group between two ACEs.

The active ACE works ok but if the standby ACE becomes active, it doesn' work (I cannot reach port 80).

What could this be? Configs are synchronized and I have checked physical connections: all is ok.

I have attached the two configurations

Thanks for all

Sebastian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

try using an alias address on the interface VLAN 400 and 500.

An alias address is a shared address between the both ACEs, like an HSRP address. It should be used on the hosts and routers as default gateway/next hop address.

you configure it like this on the Active ACE (he will replicate it to the standby):

interface vlan 400

alias 10.10.40.x 255.255.255.0

interface vlan 500

alias 10.10.50.x 255.255.255.0

where x is an unused IP Address in the subnet.

I assume in your case the servers are using the physical address of VLAN 500 of your active ACE as default-gateway to answer to the client requests.

Because the active ACE is down, their default gateway will no longer respond. That's why you need a shared address, so no matter which ACE is active, the default gateway remains the same.

more info can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/v3.00_A2/configuration/rtg_brdg/guide/vlansif.html#wp1034811

hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dario

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

aperez
Level 1
Level 1

Note: When standby ACE becomes Active, I can't pass traffic through from client side to server side

Hi,

try using an alias address on the interface VLAN 400 and 500.

An alias address is a shared address between the both ACEs, like an HSRP address. It should be used on the hosts and routers as default gateway/next hop address.

you configure it like this on the Active ACE (he will replicate it to the standby):

interface vlan 400

alias 10.10.40.x 255.255.255.0

interface vlan 500

alias 10.10.50.x 255.255.255.0

where x is an unused IP Address in the subnet.

I assume in your case the servers are using the physical address of VLAN 500 of your active ACE as default-gateway to answer to the client requests.

Because the active ACE is down, their default gateway will no longer respond. That's why you need a shared address, so no matter which ACE is active, the default gateway remains the same.

more info can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/v3.00_A2/configuration/rtg_brdg/guide/vlansif.html#wp1034811

hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dario

After the changes, all worked ok!

Thanks!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: