Views
Helpful
Replies

CCVP LAB Question????

Charlie Mayes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am new to setting up a VOIP network. I purchased a 2621XM router and have the telephony-service configured and have setup my ip phones on my internal network. Everything works but, I want to make a call over the PSTN to my wife's cell phone or any other person from my ip phone and I also want them to be able to call me. If I buy a FXO card and install it in my router will I be able to plug in my home phoneline and make a call out through my router and receive incoming calls to my ip phones as well? Or is this thing going to be much more involved than that?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Charlie,

No problem. Getting into voice can be a fairly daunting task sometimes.

Glad I could help - please remember to rate helpful posts so that others that use this thread as a reference will be able to navigate it easier.

-nick

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Yes, you can get a VIC-2FXO or something of the sort and that will work. Keep in mind that you need DSPs for this to work as well. You could get something like a NM-HDV, NM-2V, or NM-HDV2 and that would have onboard DSPs.

hth,

nick

Hey Nic,

What is are DSP, NM-HDV,NM-HDV2 and what does it do?

DSPs turn analog traffic into RTP.

They are required for conferencing, transcoding, MTPs, and any analog voice pots connections.

Here is a calculator:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/DSP/cisco_prodsel.pl

They do the Digital Signaling Processing:

http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/investor/dsp/dsp.htm

hth,

nick

Hey Nick,

I went to see what you were talking about. On Ebay the DSPs are still expensive. If I don't have that module the digital to voice conversion will not happen right. This will make what I am trying to do not work at all whenI am calling from a IP Phone to a PSTN phone. Am I understaning everything you have told me?

Hi Charlie,

Unfortunately DSPs are quite expensive. It surprises a lot of people, and we see a lot of people who think they're ready to do voice but then wonder why their analog ports don't show up in the configuration.

The NM-2V is probably the cheapest because it has non-replaceable DSPs on port.

There is also the NM-HDA which has DSPs.

At least you prevented yourself from buying a card without knowing the consequences :)

-nick

Hello Nick,

Which one would you reccommend I purchase for my 2621XM router?

From a quick search, it looks like a NM-1V is going to be the cheapest option. NM-1V + VIC-2FXO.

Glad I could help out :)

-nick

Hello Nick,

Thanks man. You just saved me a lot of headaches in the future.

Hello Nick,

I just bought both of those cards like you told me to do. Hopefully they will be here by Monday or sooner. Is is ok if I contact you directly when I get this stuff if I find I need your help? Also know that I have purchased everything you told me to, do I have everything I need to make calls over the PSTN using my phone line from home?

Hi Charlie,

You should be able to post a new topic here if you run into problems. Once you put the VIC-2FXO into the NM-2V and put it in your 2600 with an ipvoice or better image, you should be ready to configure voice.

Good luck!

-nick

Hello Nick,

Are you a Cisco Voice Expert and it so can I get my CCVP with everything I currently have?

I'm not a CCIE..yet.

It's hard to say. I've worked on all this equipment via being on calls with customers, so I'm not sure what type of lab equipment is required.

I would suggest getting a VMware server configured so that you can set up a Callmanager. You could then download multiple IP Communicator clients and do all types of stuff with that.

You could use your 2600 as a SIP/MGCP/H323 gateway as well as a CME. I think with VMware plus the gear that you've ordered you'll be able to look at quite a bit of voice.

-nick

Nick,

I am so glad to hear that. I had no idea if I was going in the wrong direction or what. Now after speaking with you I have been reassured I have not been wasting my money and time. Thanks Again for everything you have done because without it I had no idea how I would have gotten this far with my Voice Lab setup. Thanks sooooo Much Nick. :) :)

Hi Charlie,

No problem. Getting into voice can be a fairly daunting task sometimes.

Glad I could help - please remember to rate helpful posts so that others that use this thread as a reference will be able to navigate it easier.

-nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: