cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi-homing, BGP, and ASN Number

jamesbruce
Level 1
Level 1

WE have a Cisco 2821XM Router loaded with CME and CUE. The business owner wants to multi-home from two different ISPs and get an ASN number.

1. Will multi-homing with BGP strain the capabilities of the 2821 or impact CME?

2. The 2821 has only 256 DRAM, I assume I would have to upgrade this?

3. Would going to a 3800 series be preferable?

4. Anyone here familiar with multi-homing and BGP? I want to make sure I'm not advertising anything I shouldn't, and that running this on top of CME/CUE will not present security risks.

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

jim_berlow
Level 3
Level 3

I think the first question to ask is why does the business owner want to multi-home? Is it for redundancy purposes or does he want more control of how traffic flows?

This answer will help you to answer some of your questions:

1) If you are only concerned about redundancy, then you might be able to get away with just having two providers give you a default route. This doesn't take up much memory, but it really isn't scalable. Now, if you need to take more than just default routes you probably will WANT to upgrade. I wouldn't do anything more than default routes on a 2821.

2) See above. If you're doing more than default routes then you probably want to upgrade.

3) My favorite router for partial routes (not full routes) would be a 3845 loaded with at least 768 DRAM (1 Gig pref). If for whatever reason you need full routes, bump that router to a 7600.

4) I highly recommend buying a book on best practices. There are many good ones to choose from. You should become familiar with creating filters to protect yourself from becoming a transit site and it is also nice to just learn something about how this works. Especially after you implement it and see 90% of traffic on one link and only 10% on the other (how do you fix?)!

The other wildcard you have in your pocket is your service providers. These guys do this for a living and are usually more than willing to offer some help with configuring it the first time around.

HTH,

Jim

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello James,

I recommend to use a separate device and to accept only default routes or just a few routes representing business partners.

Being multi-homed has been a requirement to get a public AS number (now with the new 32bits AS number this may change a little) from ARIN or RIPE or other RIRs.

Probably a multi-homing with NAT and using two address blocks taken from the two ISPs can be enough for your customer needs.

Clearly with NAT would be a primary/secondary solution that provides redundancy.

to give a look at what BGP multihoming looks like

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009456d.shtml

for enterprise multihoming with NAT

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_white_paper09186a0080091c8a.shtml

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

#1 It may if you accept full Internet BGP tables. You'll need lots of RAM and the BGP scanner is often CPU intensive.

#2 If you want to take two full Internet BGP tables, yes.

#3 Depends on bandwidth of links and BGP processing. Had a customer using a pair of 3660s (performance somewhat similar to a 2821) with T3s and two providers taking two full BGP tables. Routers were suffering. Stop taking BGP tables and just defaulted out to both provides, routers ran fine.

#4 Probably not considered best practice, but if you don't overload the router and properly implement security, perhaps doable.

trippi
Level 1
Level 1

We are running BGP with default route on a 2611XM with 128mb RAM...We are multihomed to two providers, but we have 1 2611XM for each provider. They are doing fine....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card