cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unity voice port question

richardfu
Level 1
Level 1

we have UM unity 4.1(1) with failover, currently have 16 voice ports running, will need add more voice ports, I did checking with the port usage analyzer, but not see that clear how to determine the voice ports numbers from the design documentation, any clue will be appreciate.

Thanks,

8 Replies 8

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you looking to determine if you need more ports based on the data or are you simply trying to ports? Ports are licensed features so you can only configure as many as you are licensed for.

HTH,

chris

we are migrating our VM unity system to our UM voice mail system, currently UM unity system have 16 voice ports, UM have 150 users, and VM have 500 users now, will have 200-300 more users in the near future to join UM as well. So we will need to check how many ports we will be good for this situation. Plus we may have broadcast voice message may happen sometimes to all staff.

Thanks,

This really depends on your usage, every company uses VM differently. Since you alreay have Unity I would suggest running the port usage tool to find out how many ports are used during busy hour and then scale accordingly.

For 1000 or so users I would recommand at least 32 ports, perhaps even more if VM is used frequently.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris for your great comments. we plan to install at least 16 ports or 32 ports, but also like get some technical guide for how to determine the voice ports on the Unity system if have.

Thanks,

Hi Richard,

From the great Cisco Unity Tools

Port Usage Monitor

This is a tool that can generate reports that show port usage based on dialouts for various reasons (MWI, notification, AMIS delivery, TRAP connections) and inbound traffic. Indications of how many ports were available to take calls at any given time and the like will be graphed so you can easily see if you're in danger of running out of ports during peak times.

This is a set of four complete graphical and table reports that help sites manage their traffic trending.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_PortUsageAnalyzer.htm

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks, Rob. we did check the Port Usage Analyzer first as mentioned in my first part, and got all the information we need: Port Availability,Ports available to take the calls, ports currently busy, port availability summary and Call Traffic...but still have more to be think about: the numbers of users, message broadcast and the future users expansion..

Thanks,

evan.proios
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Would you mind explaining the failover you are using and how it works for you??? Thanks

Thanks Evan for your interesting for this topic, and for unity failover would recommend to review the following Cisco document with the detailed information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/403/failover/guide/ex/FG_040.html

Hope this help.

Richard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: