Difference between "no switchport" and "switchport mode access" (old IOS)

Unanswered Question
Feb 10th, 2009

Running 12.2(22) IP services base on an old 3550. At the interface config level, if I type "no switchport" I get a config that reads "no switchport", if I type "no switchport mode" I get "switchport mode dynamic desirable" (the default for this particular HW/SW), and if I type "switchport mode access" I get a config that reads "switchport mode access".

I don't have any networks on VLAN1 available to me for test, to see if the port in "no switchport" mode will participate in switching, but my guess is that, since I can't assign an IP address to the interface unless it is in "no switchport" mode, and can't assign a VLAN to it until I have issued the "switchport" command, is that in "no switchport" the port doesn't participate in any switching, even VLAN 1. Basically this command turns the port into a IP router port.

Is that an accurate way to describe it? Thanks in advance.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Jon Marshall Tue, 02/10/2009 - 17:02

Wiley

"no switchport" changes the port from being a Layer 2 interface to a layer 3 interface. So a port with "no switchport" is not a member of any vlan, it is as you say a routed port and you can then configure an IP address on it.

Hope this answers your question.

Jon

Actions

This Discussion