cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Forwarding on cisco 815 cable router

jmjesperson
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to the Cisco scene, so please help me with the dummy version answers.

I am configuring port forwarding at my work so that we can access a filemaker pro database from home. I have set up port forwarding on our linksys router/switch here and it allowed me to access the filemaker database from another network here within the building. The problem is that we need to configure the cisco 815 router for port forwarding as well so that we can access the database from without our work.

The linksys system had an IP address that I typed in (192.168.0.1) that brought me to an administration page from which I configured port forwarding for port 5003 through my browser.

In my research on

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Cisco/Cisco800Series/default.htm

I was initially confused on how to connect to the cisco 815. With linksys it was via my browser. For the Cisco I gather I need to connect to the console connection on the back of the 815 with a CAT-5 and then use a terminal program. Is that correct? By following the link I listed above is that what it is referring to?

Also, (hopefully not to complicate things) I am using a Mac.

Does anyone have any advice or words of wisdom for a newby like me?

--------------------------------------------------

Attached: a simple diagram describing setup

1 Reply 1

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, that link gives you a basic command on configuring port forwarding. If the router has been configured and NAT has been enabled. That should be what you need.

You can connect to Cisco router via console port by using "console cable" which should be shipped with the router and is a blue flat cabe with one side RJ-45 connector and the other side DB-9 connector. Here is the link you need to following.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/860-880-890/hardware/installation/guide/3Connect880-860.html#wp1050135

You can also telnet to router by using its IP address if it is setup correctly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco