Views
Helpful
Replies

AIM Module

ksarin123_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks -

I have a couple of Cisco 2811 routers with AIM module in it. Can anyone tell me what this AIM module is for? From what I've read on the Internet, this is the module for better IPSEC VPN performance.

Our 2811 router's motherboard already have an integrated VPN port adapter. I am assuming this is another hardware module for better VPN performance. So I guess what is the difference between the VPN port adapter and the AIM Module?

Also, isn't the IOS in the router capable of handling VPN connections? Do we really need these additional h/w modules?

Thanks very much for your help!

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First, check which exact AIM module you have with "show diag", as there are various models.

The module will become necessary only when handling a large volume of traffic or many peers. Another application is SSL VPN.

Otherwise as you said the embedded HW accelerator is enough for most cases.

The AIM module we have is (AIM-VPN/EPII-PLUS).

So again, my question is, what functionality does this module provide that the integrated VPN port adapter does not?

Thanks!

Thanks! That's what I was looking for!

You are welcome, thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

If you look at the product's page, the 2811 comes with that exact same module internally.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5881/index.html

To answer your question, the difference is none.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hi Edison, actually what the datasheet says is that WITH the AIM-VPN/EPII-PLUS (now replaced by AIM-VPN/SSL-2), you can do 1500 sessions.

Then from the infamous "VPN portfolio" document, we learn that it would do 200 without, and again 1500 with AIM-VPN/SSL-2 that is the replacement for the older type.

At least I understand it this way.

Paolo,

Good point.

You want to be more confused?

See the Mbps rating on the SSL-2 page

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/data_sheet_vpn_aim_for_18128003800routers_ps5853_Products_Data_Sheet.html

vs the VPN document you posted.

For instance, on the link I posted it claims:

90 and 125 Mbps in the Cisco 2821

and the VPN document claims 140Mbps.

__

Edison.

You want to be really really confused ?

Compare whatever document figure with your own stringent performance testing :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card