cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GUI suspend/resume listener?

rand.hall
Level 1
Level 1

Having just upgraded for the first time I was surprised to see that you had to issue a CLI command before and after pressing the big user-friendly System Upgrade button.

Am I missing something?

7 Replies 7

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

You shouldn't be required to suspend/resume the listener when perform an AsyncOS upgrade. For machines and environments that receive a lot of traffic, it is sometimes recommended to clear out any queues on the appliance and suspend/resume the listener so that the system can dedicate all resources to the upgrading process.

Having just upgraded for the first time I was surprised to see that you had to issue a CLI command before and after pressing the big user-friendly System Upgrade button.

Am I missing something?

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

You shouldn't be required to suspend/resume the listener when perform an AsyncOS upgrade.

Quoting the Upgrade Instructions section of the 6.5 release notes:

3. Suspend all listeners.

4. Wait for the queue to emtpy.

5. From the System Administration tab, select the System Upgrade page.

I have to agree with randhall. If the instructions say to suspend the listeners and then make a specific reference to using the GUI to start the upgrade, then there should be a GUI method for suspending the listeners.

Kudos to you for reading the instructions explicitly. :)

When you perform an upgrade from the GUI, the listeners are suspended automatically as part of the process. (That is, there is no need to perform a command in the CLI first.)

This is a good catch; I've asked the documentation team to clarify the upgrade instructions in future versions of the release notes to note that the "suspendlistener" step is for the CLI only.

thanks,
-paul

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

Documentation teams either love me or hate me, depending on how much ego-stake they have in their work. :-)

Anthony Bundy
Level 1
Level 1

You shouldn't be required to suspend/resume the listener when perform an AsyncOS upgrade.

Quoting the Upgrade Instructions section of the 6.5 release notes:

3. Suspend all listeners.

4. Wait for the queue to emtpy.

5. From the System Administration tab, select the System Upgrade page.

I have to agree with randhall. If the instructions say to suspend the listeners and then make a specific reference to using the GUI to start the upgrade, then there should be a GUI method for suspending the listeners.

A nice shiny suspend button would be a nice enhancement!

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

A nice shiny suspend button would be a nice enhancement!

As plorence wrote, it isn't necessary when doing an upgrade since it is handled automatically. But there are other reasons to suspend listeners besides doing upgrades, and having feature parity between the GUI and the CLI is always a good thing.

meyd45_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

Running an upgrade does not suspend listeners. Perhaps Paul is confusing that with automatically disconnecting (all nodes in) a cluster when an upgrade is initiated.

A gui button to suspend/resume individual listeners is called for. There are too many simple commands which are not in the gui e.g. topin, tophosts, *flush...

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: