Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN shortcut and redirect

tomek0001
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I'm trying to understand the DVMPN Phase 3 and I'm trying get some clarification on the two commands:

ip nhrp redirect

ip nhrp shortcut

Based on what I have read (Shortcut Switching Enhancements for NHRP in DMVPN Networks) one thing i don't understand from this article:

"When using this feature, we recommend configuring the ip nhrp redirect command on all the DMVPN nodes. This configuration would be useful in the event the data traffic takes a spoke-to-spoke-hub-spoke path."

Why would you need redirect on all dmvpn nodes? How would you have a situation where traffic comes and leaves from the same interfaces on a spoke if the NHS and the summary route is pointing to the Hub router?

Is there some configuration i'm missing?

thank you in advance for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ggeorgas1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

for a simple structured topology (See Diagram 1 below) I agree with your observation. Namely configure all hubs with ip nhrp redirect only and all spoke sites with ip nhrp shortcut.

(Diagram 1 - Simple Topology)

Hub 1 ------- Hub 2

! ! ! ! ! !

! ! ! ! ! !

S1 S2 S3 S4 S5 S6

Hub 1 and 2 configured with ip nhrp redirect only

Spoke S1 to S6 configured with ip nhrp shortcut only

However to cater for more complex topologies such as where the spoke may also be acting as a hub to other spokes, then I would imagine both ip nhrp redirect and ip nhrp shortcut would be required on these spoke/hub.

(Diagram 2 - Complex topology)

Hub 1---------Hub 2

! ! ! !

! ! ! !

S1 S2 S3 S4

! !

! !

S5 S6

S1 is a spoke to Hub 1

S1 is a hub to S5 and S6

Hence S1 would have ip nhrp redirect as well as ip nhrp shortcut enabled.

cheers

george

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

ggeorgas1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

for a simple structured topology (See Diagram 1 below) I agree with your observation. Namely configure all hubs with ip nhrp redirect only and all spoke sites with ip nhrp shortcut.

(Diagram 1 - Simple Topology)

Hub 1 ------- Hub 2

! ! ! ! ! !

! ! ! ! ! !

S1 S2 S3 S4 S5 S6

Hub 1 and 2 configured with ip nhrp redirect only

Spoke S1 to S6 configured with ip nhrp shortcut only

However to cater for more complex topologies such as where the spoke may also be acting as a hub to other spokes, then I would imagine both ip nhrp redirect and ip nhrp shortcut would be required on these spoke/hub.

(Diagram 2 - Complex topology)

Hub 1---------Hub 2

! ! ! !

! ! ! !

S1 S2 S3 S4

! !

! !

S5 S6

S1 is a spoke to Hub 1

S1 is a hub to S5 and S6

Hence S1 would have ip nhrp redirect as well as ip nhrp shortcut enabled.

cheers

george