cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cheapest switch that will run ACLs on ports ?

ajenks
Level 1
Level 1

I need the ability to restrict traffic between 2 LAN segments. I want to do this with dedicated hardware. I acheieved this using a 48 port 3750 switch with ACL's configured (spare hardware at the time), with 2 ports used (one connected to LAN A, one to LAN B). This is a waste of hardware.

I don't need any routing capablity in this device, so I am thinking I will replace it with the smallest (cheapest) switch capable of running ACL's on ports. I'm not sure all CISCO switches can do this ?

I currently apply the restrictions by host-host ip and the rules are not protocol specific. If I wanted to make the rules specific to certain protocols, can ACL's in switches do this ? or would that require a router ?

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the 3750 worked for you, so should the 3560s. If you don't need multiple gig ports nor many ports, there's the 8 port model. A 2960 -L switch might work for you too. Available modules also include 8 port variants; in both 100 or gig models.

b.julin
Level 3
Level 3

The switches vary on the number of access list values and masks they can handle, so it kind of depends on how big these access lists get.

However for a device dedicated to this purpose only I think a 2960 might work fine. Though note they don't do it vlan access-map style, only per interface.

bench2960#show platform acl usage 0

IPV4/MAC ACL TCAM USAGE:

ACL Type Label Entries Used

L3INPUT 3 (P) 3

Used Available Total

Mask 30 354 384

Value 30 354 384

IPV6 ACL TCAM USAGE:

Used Available Total

Mask 5 2 7

Value 5 12 17

bench2960#show platform acl usage 1

IPV4/MAC ACL TCAM USAGE:

Used Available Total

Mask 27 357 384

Value 27 357 384

IPV6 ACL TCAM USAGE:

Used Available Total

Mask 5 2 7

Value 5 12 17

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card