cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSDiscovery not starting (Common Services 3.1.1)

rkoll
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have the following issue with Device Discovery under Common Services 3.1.1 :

After starting Discovery (it doesn't matter if scheduled or immediately) the process csdiscovery stops immediately, but the discovery-job runs forever. The following errors are written into csdiscovery.log:

[ Thu Feb 12 12:39:07 CET 2009 ] DEBUG [DiscoveryUtil : getNMSROOT] : NMSROOT: d:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx

[ Thu Feb 12 12:39:07 CET 2009 ] DEBUG [DiscoveryJobUtil : processStatus] : [processStatus] Called!!

[ Thu Feb 12 12:39:07 CET 2009 ] DEBUG [DiscoveryJobUtil : processStatus] : Executing jobCmd: d:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\pdshow.cmd CSDiscovery

[ Thu Feb 12 12:39:07 CET 2009 ] DEBUG [DiscoveryJobUtil : processStatus] : ErrorStream Line: Access is denied.

[ Thu Feb 12 12:39:07 CET 2009 ] DEBUG [DiscoveryJobUtil : processStatus] : Job Command Response:

[ Thu Feb 12 12:39:07 CET 2009 ] DEBUG [DiscoveryJobUtil : processStatus] : Exit

Any suggestions ?

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check the permissions on C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe. Make sure the casusers group has Execute permissions.

The Permissions are ok - casusers-group can execute ...\cmd.exe.

I have tried to reinstall the software (completely removed, installed 3.0.1).

At this time discovery works - a lot of devices were discovered.

Then installed the Dec2007 Updates.

I have restarted the discovery - but i got the same problem:

Process "csdiscovery" is not running, but the job is running and after enabling debug-option i'm getting the "ErrorStream Line: Access is denied."

Please post the output of pdreg -l CSDiscovery.

Here is the output:

----------------------

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>pdreg -l CSDiscovery

Process = CSDiscovery

Path = D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\cwjava.exe

Flags = -cw D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx -cw:jre lib\jre -cp:pmf conf\csdis

covery\CSDiscovery.mf com.cisco.nm.csdiscovery.CSDiscoveryManager

Startup = Started by operator command.

Dependencies = Not applicable

D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>

----------------------

In the meantime i have 3 running (never ending)discovery jobs. The process "CSDiscovery" in the processlist reports "Transient terminated". There is no other application on this server.

I think the permission problem is tricking the Discovery status display. If cmd.exe is readable and executable by casuser, make sure casusers has Full Control over D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\pdshow.cmd and pdcmd.exe. The other thing that can trip up Discovery status is the D:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\conf\csdiscovery\DiscoveryStatusObj file. If you move this file out of the way, Discovery will be unable to determine the Discovery status, and will report it as not running.

Once the GUI is reporting an accurate Discovery status, you can try to run a new Discovery job.

I have attached a screenshot of the permissions - i think there is nothing wrong. The file DiscoveryStatusObj still exists.

I have stopped and deleted the discovery job, then i have restarted all processes.

The process status was "CSDiscovery never started". I started the discovery and nothing changed...

I have installed several lms 3.0 solutions, but never had such a problem.

are the jobIds of the discovery jobs still listed in the registry at

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco\Resource Manager\CurrentVersion\Daemons

when dmgtd is stopped?

Where is the jobId in this registry-path ?

I attached a screenshot from ...Daemons\CSDiscovery\

all running jobs must register to dmgtd and are listed with their jobID as a seperate key directly under

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cisco\Resource Manager\CurrentVersion\Daemons

so the question is to which job does the ID 1014 belongs to?

Are you still getting the Access denied error? If so, I suggest you open a TAC service request. Getting remote access to this server to run some additional troubleshooting tools would be useful. At this point, I suspect that something in the path to either pdcmd.exe or cmd.exe is not accessible to casuser. Until the permissions issue gets sorted out, Discovery will not operate correctly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: