cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Small Office network solution

bobby.creech
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a small office (less than 20 users) and am wondering what would be a good hardware solution. They already have a Dell PowerConnect switch but no router or firewall. someone recommended to them a PIX 505e and a 2600 series router. I thought that was a little over kill. anyone got some good suggestions for Small office setup?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Firstly, PIX and a 2600 router is already End-of-Sale. PIX 505e has been superceded by ASA5505 and the 2600 has been superceded by the 1800/2800/3800 series Integrated Services Router.

You most definitely need a router. Question is what model? I recommend the 2821 (www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/ps5882/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016fa68_ps5854_Products_Data_Sheet.html)

Do you need a switch? With 20 people (plus printers), you'll need at least a 24-port switch.

Do you need Power over Ethernet capabilities? 2960, 2975, 3560 and 3750/3750-E has PoE capabilities.

How about firewall? Depends on what you are trying to allow and block. The 2821 series router is robust enough and should have a firewall capabilities.

Talk to an authorized Cisco reseller. If further down the road, you see the need to get a firewall, then get the ASA later rather than getting one now and realizing that the router can do the job.

Does this help?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Firstly, PIX and a 2600 router is already End-of-Sale. PIX 505e has been superceded by ASA5505 and the 2600 has been superceded by the 1800/2800/3800 series Integrated Services Router.

You most definitely need a router. Question is what model? I recommend the 2821 (www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/ps5882/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016fa68_ps5854_Products_Data_Sheet.html)

Do you need a switch? With 20 people (plus printers), you'll need at least a 24-port switch.

Do you need Power over Ethernet capabilities? 2960, 2975, 3560 and 3750/3750-E has PoE capabilities.

How about firewall? Depends on what you are trying to allow and block. The 2821 series router is robust enough and should have a firewall capabilities.

Talk to an authorized Cisco reseller. If further down the road, you see the need to get a firewall, then get the ASA later rather than getting one now and realizing that the router can do the job.

Does this help?

I thought the 505 was EOL..

no I have a switch for them already.

no POE

I will check out the 2821 series.

thanks a bunch, sorry for the delay in response, was doing punch downs...wheee

"was doing punch downs...wheee" < --- Yipee Ka Yay!

If the post is helpful, can you please rate?

Thanks.

sorry..didn't know..

No need to apologize.

Thanks for the rating. Hope it helps. If you need further assistance, you know where to find us. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card