cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How Ping Ethernet to Ethernet when no IP address?

RobinCruz
Level 1
Level 1

How can I ping point to point, or ethernet to ethernet when there is no IP address assigned? Is that possible? I tried using a MAC address with Ping but that did not work. In this case its a PC to a ethernet to 100BaseF (fiber) conversion and I want to send pings to test the link (no other routers or switches involved, just point to point). Any insight appreciated

8 Replies 8

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You won't be able to ping anything without an IP address.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Understood. Ill have to add another Ip configurable device on the other end. How do people test ethernet. They must do it without having to have TCP/IP?

You would need a device to test the line. There are many out there, but something like this:

http://www.flukenetworks.com/fnet/en-us/products/MicroScanner+2/Overview.htm

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

The PC needs to have an ip address and on the other end of the fiber connector connect another PC and configure an ip address on the same subnet.

You can then ping from one PC to other

Narayan

If you use a firewall or something else, make sure it allows pings.

b.julin
Level 3
Level 3

See if "traceroute mac" does what you want

It will not do a ping, but it will recursively crawl through the switch MAC tables. I have not used it much, though, so I am not sure if it is limited to devices that have generated traffic enough to get into the middle of the network, or whether it sends out some sort of proprietary query to find idle MACs.

I imagine there is no way at all to find a system that is so idle that its mac address is not even in the table of the switch it is attached to, however, not even with traceroute mac.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.1_14_ea1/command/reference/cli3.html

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depending on the model of your switch, try TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer).

The command in enable mode is:

test cable-diagnostics tdr interface

The command to see the result is

show cable-diagnostics tdr interface

Does this help?

Those are all great thoughts. It might be easiest to configure something with an laptop on each end. Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card