Cisco 851w IOS - Help

Unanswered Question
Feb 12th, 2009

Folks I am somewhat of a Novice with Cisco Routers. Have an 851w for home use, was messing with it and accidentally erased the IOS from the router. Can only boot to rommon, cannot find the IOS on SDM CD anywhere. Can someone help me with finding an IOS for the router. Is it on the CD someplace and needs to be extracted. If not can someone please give their best recommendation as to what my options are. I find it hard to believe that the IOS did not come with the Router?? Thanks so much for all you help and time. Sincerely!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
GregL Fri, 02/13/2009 - 08:36

I dont think the IOS software is on that CD you will have to download it from Cisco site-- If you have access to the software section. If you have a smartnet contract on device you can also open a tac case with cisco.

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/PlatformList.x?sftType=IOS+Software&mdfid=279623991&treeName=Wireless&mdfLevel=Model&url=null&modelName=Cisco+851+Integrated+Services+Router&isPlatform=N&treeMdfId=278875243&modifmdfid=null&imname=&hybrid=Y&imst=N

chuckybaur Fri, 02/13/2009 - 08:59

Hi GregL thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I do not have a contract with Cisco. I really find it hard to believe that a copy of the IOS is not shipped with the router. Cisco will not give me the time of day because the device is out of warranty. I am getting so frustrated at the thought I am stuck with no place to turn. This is a joke IMO, if I have a legit router w/ proper serial #, etc... I should be able to obtain that IOS. This router is basically useless at this point.

GregL Fri, 02/13/2009 - 09:01

Have you gone back to the company you bought it from maybe they can help you.

chuckybaur Fri, 02/13/2009 - 09:10

I have not, but willing to do so. I bought online few years back. I'd have to dig up the info.

I am not into pirating software but if I found someone willing enough to make a backup of their 851w router that's my only shot at this time.

DouglasScott99 Sat, 02/14/2009 - 18:41

As mentioned, I don't think that there is any official way to fix this without a service contract. For an 850 it might only be about $50. Might be quite hard to figure out how to buy one as a one off though, in my experience it is hard enough to sort it out as a small reseller. There might be a chance that cisco have made available a free security upgrade sometime but I can't think how to find that out. Maybe worth a google.

GregL Sat, 02/14/2009 - 18:50

In deed the legal way of doing this would be purchase a smartnet contract on your Device then you should be able to get a IOS. Just tell TAC what happend once you have your smartnet. You should be able to purchase the smartnet from who you bought the 851w from.

Actions

This Discussion