cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1811, can I make turn the switch ports into routed-only ports?

thomasdzubin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 1811 router (two routed-"WAN" ports FE0 & FE1 and eight switch "LAN" ports FE2-FE9)

Is there any way to change the eight switch ports into routed-only ports where I assign an IP to each interface and each interface is on a different VLAN? (so they don't see each other's layer-2 traffic)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Those are Layer2 switchports but you can create SVIs (Switch Virtual Interfaces) for each independent switchport, for instance:

vlan 2

int f1/2

sw ac vl 2

interface vlan 2

ip add 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.0

vlan 3

int f1/3

sw ac vl 3

interface vlan 3

ip add 3.3.3.3 255.255.255.0

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Those are Layer2 switchports but you can create SVIs (Switch Virtual Interfaces) for each independent switchport, for instance:

vlan 2

int f1/2

sw ac vl 2

interface vlan 2

ip add 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.0

vlan 3

int f1/3

sw ac vl 3

interface vlan 3

ip add 3.3.3.3 255.255.255.0

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks! A quick followup question... is there any way to have the vlan "up" even if the interfaces that make up the vlan are down? (eg: in your example, I want to be able to PING 2.2.2.2, even though nothing is plugged into int f1/2)

(I like to have my router PINGable even if the workstations plugged into all the ports are turned off)

Nevermind... I figured it out:

int vlan2

no autostate

I'm afraid there isn't unless you allocate one of those switchports as a trunk connection to another switch and forward that Vlan in the trunk.

For instance;

interface fx/x

switchport mode trunk

The if you issue the show trunk or show interface trunk, you will see all Vlans in forwarding state by default.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card