cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 Sub Interfacing on a HWIC-4ESW

dnorthrup
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to create multiple L3 subinterfaces on a port on a HWIC-4ESW? The HWIC is in an 1841 running IOS 12.4.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You're welcome, please rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think this is possible. Cisco EtherSwitch HWICs are 10/100BASE-T Layer 2 Ethernet switches with Layer 3 routing capability. (Layer 3 routing is forwarded to the host and is not actually performed at the switch.) Traffic between different VLANs on a switch is routed through the router platform.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/configuration/guide/lsw_hwic_ethsw_ic_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1113532

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can create VLAN's and Trunks but this is a simple Layer 2 Switch (like the 29X0 Smartport switches).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/configuration/guide/lsw_hwic_ethsw_ic_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1046684

Thanks. I found the same document but could find no reference to L3 here or in any other resource. Obviously I was hoping to find some method to do this.

The router, in your case the 1841, can do the L3 for you.

Dwight

Perhaps I am not clear about what you are trying to do on the Etherswitch in the 1841. But it seems to me that you can get what I think you are trying to do by doing this:

- configure several VLANs in the switch.

- assign switch ports to different VLANs.

-configure VLAN interfaces, assign IP addresses.

You can not do multiple layer 3 subinterfaces in the Etherswitch but multiple VLAN interfaces gets you essentially the same result.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick. Thanks for getting back to me. When I picked the project up the 4-port switch card had already been purchased with the intent to carry multiple subnets off of one port. This configuration is still needed so the plan is to swap out for a HWIC-1FE card.

You should be able to do that with the HWIC-4ESW. For example:

interface fa x/y/z

switchport mode trunk

interface vlan10

ip address z.z.z.z

interface vlan 15

ip address k.k.k.k

This way you will have the two subnets 802.1q tagged as 10 and 15 out the referenced port.

Or, same VLANs as above but:

interface x/y/0

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

interface x/y/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 15

You will have untagged packets for the two subnets, separately, on the 1st and 2nd port of the module.

Good points. Thanks.

You're welcome, please rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card