Cisco 2800 Internet routing

Answered Question
Feb 12th, 2009

Hi,

I have a very typical issue

I want to undersdtand if a Cisco 2821 with 1 Gb DRAM can absorb the whole Internet routing table ,though i understand it wud'nt be an optimum solution and any supporting documents if available

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Giuseppe Larosa about 7 years 9 months ago

Hello Sudhir,

I haven't a link for this.

Probably an official Cisco answer wouldn't recommend to use a C2821 for handling a full BGP table.

If I remember correctly someone has reported to doing this here in the forums.

The only doubts are about the cpu average usage caused by the BGP process: memory will be enough.

Some tuning of BGP scanner frequency can be needed in order to reduce CPU usage

And of course only if you are receiving a single BGP full internet table and no more.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Giuseppe Larosa Thu, 02/12/2009 - 21:58

Hello Sudhir,

yes with 1GB RAM the c2821 can host a full BGP table of 270,000 routes and it is able to create a CEF table for all the prefixes.

What you cannot have is capability to forward traffic at GE speeds (full rate)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Sudhir Menon Thu, 02/12/2009 - 23:58

Hi Giuseppe

Thanx for your reply do you have any supporting documents mentioning the same if not directly from Cisco

Correct Answer
Giuseppe Larosa Fri, 02/13/2009 - 09:14

Hello Sudhir,

I haven't a link for this.

Probably an official Cisco answer wouldn't recommend to use a C2821 for handling a full BGP table.

If I remember correctly someone has reported to doing this here in the forums.

The only doubts are about the cpu average usage caused by the BGP process: memory will be enough.

Some tuning of BGP scanner frequency can be needed in order to reduce CPU usage

And of course only if you are receiving a single BGP full internet table and no more.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Sudhir Menon Fri, 02/13/2009 - 20:46

This has centianly helped me a lot thank you very much Giuseppe ,I was just hoping to find a document as i had a customer call on this

Actions

This Discussion