Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2800 Internet routing

Sudhir Menon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a very typical issue

I want to undersdtand if a Cisco 2821 with 1 Gb DRAM can absorb the whole Internet routing table ,though i understand it wud'nt be an optimum solution and any supporting documents if available

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Sudhir,

I haven't a link for this.

Probably an official Cisco answer wouldn't recommend to use a C2821 for handling a full BGP table.

If I remember correctly someone has reported to doing this here in the forums.

The only doubts are about the cpu average usage caused by the BGP process: memory will be enough.

Some tuning of BGP scanner frequency can be needed in order to reduce CPU usage

And of course only if you are receiving a single BGP full internet table and no more.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sudhir,

yes with 1GB RAM the c2821 can host a full BGP table of 270,000 routes and it is able to create a CEF table for all the prefixes.

What you cannot have is capability to forward traffic at GE speeds (full rate)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe

Thanx for your reply do you have any supporting documents mentioning the same if not directly from Cisco

Hello Sudhir,

I haven't a link for this.

Probably an official Cisco answer wouldn't recommend to use a C2821 for handling a full BGP table.

If I remember correctly someone has reported to doing this here in the forums.

The only doubts are about the cpu average usage caused by the BGP process: memory will be enough.

Some tuning of BGP scanner frequency can be needed in order to reduce CPU usage

And of course only if you are receiving a single BGP full internet table and no more.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

This has centianly helped me a lot thank you very much Giuseppe ,I was just hoping to find a document as i had a customer call on this

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: