Views
Helpful
Replies

SUP720B can't do full routes

mbserrano
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

I have a 7609 with 2 sup720B which i later found out later that it cannot support the current full routes (BGP). Is there an upgrade path for the 7203B to 7203BXL or CXL?

Thanks!

Marlon

16 Replies 16

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marlon,

SUP 720 3B can handle up to 256000 routes and a full BGP table is now more then 270000 routes.

Here is the data sheet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_data_sheet09186a0080159856.html

But in this document says:

WS-SUP720-3B supports 512MB of DRAM for the route processor and 512 MB for the switch processor, upgradeable to 1GB

So you may look to a memory upgrade of both route processor and switch processor see

see the following notes about memory installation

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Config_Notes/78_15538.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe! If i upgrade to 1G will the 256K routes limit increase as well?

Regards,

Marlon

Hello Marlon,

I think it is wise to try because the first difference is that Sup720 3BXL is already shipped with 1GB chips

Hope to help

Giuseppe

What i plan to do is get the other 512 from my other sup and put it so one sup would have 1G. will that work? how about the route processor left at 1g?

Thanks

Hello Marlon,

read the installation notes for memory that are linked in one of my previous posts.

I think you need to get two chips each 1GB and to install one in SP and one in RP.

if I correctly remember there is only one memory slot for each and they need to have the same memory size

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Adding RAM won't do a thing to increase the routing table capacity of a Sup720. In order to gain route capacity, you need to increase the size of the TCAM, which is done by upgrading the PFC-3B to a PFC-3BXL. While this upgrade does add RAM, it involves a daughter-card swap.

OK. would you know how will i do the daughter card swap, i mean what part will i order?

I got the part number >WS-F6L-PFC3BXL= (we are buying 2).

My next question is: can i do the upgrade without any service interruption? i know its a long shot but is there a way? Thanks

HI,

If you are replacing the 2nd Sup Engine/Card then No DOWN-TIME involved.

If you are replacing the existing Sup Engine/Card, YES it invovles down-time to Change.

Pls RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Guru,

is this the only card i need to buy? WS-F6L-PFC3BXL=

did i miss something?

Thanks

Hello George,

thanks for pointing out what I was missing !

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Hi Guys.

I have a similar situation a have a 6506 with a supervisor 720-3B i want to upgrade the DRAM to 1GB. Is it possible to upgrade just the route processor (SP) and no the switch processor (RP) i cant find any information that tells me that both have to be the same size.

Thanks

Dimitri

Hello Dimitri,

you need two 1GB chips one for the RP and one for the SP.

But this can be not enough as explained in the other posts of this thread when the PFC 3BXL has to be considered too.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe

I will have to consider both then.

Regards

Dimitri

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card