Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 1.1 to 7.0 migration issue

bolz_icw_
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I want to do a migration of unity connection 1.1 to 7.0 on a different and new installed box.

There is a documentation available ("reconfiguration and upgrade guide for cisco unity connection 7.x") which describes the steps in detail.

Due to this documentation a migration is only possible using the "connection 1.x to 2.x migration export tool" rather than COBRAS (available for connection 1.2 at least...)

Anyway, the export and import to the 7.0 connection works fine. There is just one issue with my user passwords and PINs.

If I understand this reconfiguration guide correct, the PINs and passwords should remain, as long as the users set passwords in the connection 1.1. Only if a password field has left blank, the connection 7.0 sets a new one according to the template.

But my experience was, that even if I export all user data fields (which includes the hashes for PINs and passwords, the user isn't able to logon at the connection 7.0 system (after migrating them to 7.0)

Does someone has any idea why? Did I unsderstand the documentation wrong (and it isn't possible to keep the passwords), or did I make any mistake during migration?

And if it isn't possible to keep the passwords, is there possibly a way to change the passwords after migration at a per user basis? (E.g. via script or via access to the informix database)?

Thanks in advance,

Joachim

5 Replies 5

billriley19795
Level 1
Level 1

I have just performed a Connection 1.2 to Connection 7.0 migration using COBRAS and the passwords were migrated correctly. The users had no problems the next morning other then the prompt changing to tell them to enter their "pin" instead of "password" even though it was the same number.

Right, but as I already mentioned I use Connection 1.1 and therefore it's not possible to do the migration by COBRAS...

I would recommend upgrading to UCON 1.2 first (minor upgrade) and then using COBRAS to upgrade to 7.0. I just did this last weekend successfully. Few things to keep in mind though is that COBRAS does not restore everything as documented in its help files. It does not restore directory handlers, routing rules, COS, templates, phone system integration. Really all it restores is subscriber data including PINs, messages, greetings, call handlers, interview handlers, and distribution lists, it is still more than the migration tool though.

HTH,

Chris

I am about to do the same process but on the same hardware. We had to get more RAM and bigger drives, so i am thinking of:

1. Can you go from 1.2 directly to 7 or do you have to go to 2.0 first?

2. shutdown the server, install new ram

3. replace one of the drives with a new one

4. start up the server and hopefully the new drive will be mirrored

5. if this is successful, shutdown the server again and replace old drive with new one and start it up again

6. now hopefully the server will be running with new RAM and new drives and we can start the actual software upgrade?

anyone see any problems with this? btw - hardware is IBM servers.

thnx

charl

There is really no software upgrade from UCON 1.2 to 7 as you need to rebuild the box since you are going from windows to appliance. There is a tool called COBRAS (look it up at ciscounitytools.com) that will let you do the migration, so here are my suggested steps:

1. Run COBRAS to export your data (review the help file to see what's not going to be migrated, i.e. COS/Routing Rules/Templates, etc)

2. Copy the export file to another box, you should probably install COBRAS on it as you will need to run it again for restore

3. Replace your drives, RAM, etc

4. install new UCON 7

5. Restore data using COBRAS

6. Manually build items that do not get migrated.

Make sure you have the licnese file ready before you perform the upgrade/migration by contacting licensing@cisco.com

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: