Just passed my ONT now I'm a CCNP!

Unanswered Question
Feb 13th, 2009

Hi all,

Just come back from test centre with a pass on my ONT exam and after 8 gruelling months of study I am finally a CCNP.

Many people think the ONT exam is the easiest due to its sheer lack of material, however I don't agree (having just sat the exam!). Where the ONT lacks in material it makes up in the thickness of the material needed to learn. Frankly and with any exam, if you know your stuff you will find any exam easy.

Took me 8 months from start to finish and looking back now I feel with a bit more determination and better planning I could've achieved this sooner.

My approaches with all 4 exams were Ciscopress books, Bryant Advantage, CBT Nuggets, Switch / Router simulators and creating my own practise tests using flash cards.

Onto CCVP now starting off with CCNA Voice, will use the same method above.

Good luck to all who are studying for the CCNP, I can say it isn't an easy road but a great achievment once gained.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
burleyman Fri, 02/13/2009 - 08:34

Congrats...great job. I just got my CCNA and am starting out toward CCNP and I am starting with 642-812.

Question did you take the 642-892 composite or the 642-901 and 642-812 separate?

Sachin.bhamra Fri, 02/13/2009 - 08:41

Thanks Mike and good job on the CCNA too.

I took the BCMSN and BSCI exams seperately. Being new to the professional stage I wanted to devote my attention to each exam which I think is the best path.

If and when I come to renew my CCNP I'll probably opt for the composite (unless I pass the CCIE!!).

I recommend you google Chris Bryant and purchase his study guide, you'll understand after reading the first chapter.

burleyman Fri, 02/13/2009 - 09:22

I already have all his stuff. It is what helped me pass the CCNA. I like his stuff because it is easy to read and understand, and gets right to the point. I already got the 642-812 guide from him.

DialerString_2 Mon, 02/16/2009 - 07:34

Congrats and I passed the BSCI 3 weeks ago and I'm prepping for the ISCW now. I too am using the Cisco Press and Bryant Advantage material.

Congrats again.

ccannon88567 Mon, 02/23/2009 - 08:55

Wow - CCNP! I remember how I felt when I got my CCNA, I can remember thinking - Wait till this is my CCNP!

Way to go man.

ps - Was it 8 months for all 4 exams or 8 months for ONT??

Sachin.bhamra Mon, 02/23/2009 - 09:04

Thanks bud, it took me 8 months for all 4 exams start to finish. If it was 8 months just for the ONT my wife would've kicked my arse into gear!

Hoping to pass my CCNA Voice before May. Fingers crossed!

rpinon Thu, 03/05/2009 - 11:56

Congratulations, good feeling isn't it?

I passed my last exam for my CCNP just last month...

Sachin.bhamra Fri, 03/06/2009 - 15:08

Brilliant feeling thanks. And congratulations to you too. When I talk to regular folk (non IT people) and mention I passed my CCNP, they look at me with an expression of 'that's nice.. what exactly is a CCNP..' little do they know how much effort is put in just to attain those 4 characters!!

I'm currently studying for the CCNA Voice and will go for the CCVP. Have you got any future plans?

NateBattle Mon, 03/09/2009 - 06:10

I am seriously considering the Security track. It seems that I will have to take the IINS exam to do the CCSP certification.

Sachin.bhamra Mon, 03/09/2009 - 09:26

Well good luck on that one, I was at that crossroads too whilst preparing for my ONT.

Chose to do CCNA Voice which I'm due to schedule my exam sometime end of April. Was a tough choice between Security or Voice.. nevertheless either one once achieved along with that professional track will make us more marketable in the arena.

One question though which I offer to all readers of this post (if any). Now that I'm moving onto CCNA Voice then CCVP, when I pass each CCVP exam will this automatically renew my CCNP?

Or do I have to retake any CCNP exam within 3 years to keep that valid aswell as take each of my CCVP exams?

ccannon88567 Tue, 03/10/2009 - 02:29

Hey Buddy,

Your quite right. Once you are a CCNA, CCNA Voice, CCNP and CCVP all you would need to do in order to recertify all of the above would be to pass one "Profesional Level" exam within 3 years.

This would mean that you only need to pass your CCNP ONT to keep all certs valid.

"Scroll down to the recertification column"

javidqta77 Mon, 04/27/2009 - 04:54

Dear Cong

Its realy a big acheivement for you... Dear i have done CCNA 640-802 and now i want to do some professional level cetification.. some of my friends suggest for CCSP and some for CCNP as i think i have to pass CCNA Security for CCSP... what do you suggest keeping in view current market position which certification will be the best for me CCNP or CCSP..

Sachin.bhamra Wed, 04/29/2009 - 21:42

Hi Javid,

It all depends really on what you want to do in terms of the future. For the CCSP you will need to take an additional exam CCNA Security + another 5 exams to get your CCSP. If you go for the CCNP you only need to go for another 4 exams. Most people do CCNA, CCNP then another professional level track.

Currently I'm working towards my CCVP. Voice as well as Security will be high in demand once this recession is over and is steadily growing.

yclee_peter88 Thu, 04/30/2009 - 21:31

Hi Javid,

I would say it all depends on your current job role and area of interest. Does your present job routine, or the next one you are looking for involve heavily in network security stuff or just good old routing & switching tasks? If you know the answer to these, you should have a better judgment choosing between CCNP or CCSP. Having said that, the CCNP track does cover quite a huge numbers of security topics in ISCW(L2/L3 device hardening, IPSec VPN, AAA, secured management plane protocols, IOS Firewall/IPS, etc)

Take note that current CCSP track requires only four papers to pass(with CCNA Security as a prerequisite) in your case. So assuming you fulfill the prerequisite now, you just need to complete three compulsory papers : SNRS, SNAF and IPS, in addition to one of the followng elective papers : SNAA, CANAC or MARS in order to get certified as a CCSP.

You can actually find out more information here: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le54/learning_certification_type_home.html

Peter Lee

This Discussion