Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSA - Alerting when host stops polling

I'd like to know when a host stops polling into the CSA MC. Is it possible to create an alert to be sent via email or an SNMP trap when an agent hasn't polled into the MC for a specified period of time?

-Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tsteger1
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Mike,

A quick solution for now is to create an event set and email alert using the event type 'Management Center: Hosts not actively polling found' that will email you with a list of inactive hosts. The event is generated every 24 hours and contains all hosts not activelty polling.

Hosts are considered inactive if they have missed three polling intervals or not polled the MC in the past 24 hours.

Without digging further I don't know of other options.

Tom

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

tsteger1
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Mike,

A quick solution for now is to create an event set and email alert using the event type 'Management Center: Hosts not actively polling found' that will email you with a list of inactive hosts. The event is generated every 24 hours and contains all hosts not activelty polling.

Hosts are considered inactive if they have missed three polling intervals or not polled the MC in the past 24 hours.

Without digging further I don't know of other options.

Tom

Tom,

Without trying it yet, this already sounds like what I need to do the job. I will give it a test and let you know how it shakes out. Thanks!

-MS

Tom,

That worked. I had tried to create an alert using a similar method in the past but I didn't have it configured correctly. This appears to work for my needs.

Thanks!

-MS

You are quite welcome Mike!

Glad to hear it worked for you.

Tom

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

Another (not so simple option), is to use the csaapi, you could create a script that polls the list of hosts, and then look for how long it has been since last poll, and then mail or snmp trap a msg to someone, of course you won't get any info faster than at least one poll period, as the client is not supposed to poll the csamc in between that interval.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: