Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobile Connect "Smart Client" :- Fact or fiction

shahedvoicerite
Level 1
Level 1

If you look at

<A HREF="javascript:newWin('http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/7x/mobilapp.html#wp1056459')">http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/7x/mobilapp.html#wp1056459</A>

You will see :-

The typical method for generating mid-call DTMF digit sequences is via a Smart Client on the user's remote destination phone. The Smart Client provides an easy and automated method for assigning these DTMF digit sequences to a set of softkeys on the remote destination phone. A Smart Phone user can then easily invoke the mid-call features by pressing the appropriate softkey.

Then a later, below you will find a "Note"

=====

Currently no Smart Client applications provide programmed softkeys for automating mid-call features, therefore the only method available today for invoking mid-call features is manual key presses.

========

Followed by :-

While the Smart Phone method of using mid-call features is the preferred and easiest method to use, users without Smart Clients on their remote destination phones can still take advantage of mid-call features by manually keying the feature access codes and entering the appropriate key sequences.

So what are they trying to say ???

Is this a reference to CUMC or not ??

Was there a product that was a CUMC "lite" that just injected DTMF tones on SmartPhones, but was not released ??

Anybody ??

Thanks

13 Replies 13

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you do not have the Smart Client on the phone, you can do a limited DTMT such as *81 is hold, *83 is resume. I could never get the *84 transfer to work. But with the smart device software, it has more functionality. YOu will also need to have an H323 gateway configured for more advanced features. MGCP works for any Mobility hold and resume function fine.

Thanks,

But what I would really like to know, is where can I download this so called "Smart Client" ?

First, I thought it was a reference to CUMC. i.e SmartClient = CUMC.

But now, I am not sure ....

It looks like this "SmartClient" simply injects DTMF...

So if that is the case, there are 2 possibilities.

1. There is a download link for this product somewhere.

2. This smartclient is actually CUMC, and it can be deployed for simple mobility use, without CUMA.

Or possible there may be other explanations....

Thanks

I also would like to know the answer to this if anyone knows.

Here is the software link in CCO for the client

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/ImageList.x?relVer=7.0%283%29&mdfid=281001428&sftType=Unified+Mobile+Communicator+%28CUMC%29+System+Software&optPlat=&nodecount=3&edesignator=null&modelName=Cisco+Unified+Mobile+Communicator&treeMdfId=27887...

The smartclient is actually CUMC. if you deploy it, i believe you must configure the backend also for it work properly. The DTMFs and software will not work work. You must also have an h323 gateway configured to accept all the DTMF relays. MGCP only does a few... Hold and Resume. That's it. for tranfer, or to make a call look it came from desk that originated from your MC, you must have the software.

Ok, so its CUMC.

For CUMC, you need full blown CUMA, which is a pain because of all the pre-requisets...

Cant understand why they need a proxy (ASA) for Blackberrys though, as the BES server is a secure proxy in any case....

Thanks

Well, think of what the MC is actually doing... it's acting like a SIP end point to CUCM through the ASA proxy. This is initiating the call from CUCM outbound, but from your cell phone using MC.

From what I saw at Cisco, you have this running on your Nokia, ( saw on Nokia) if there is a wifi open access point open or you can connect to, it will automatically make a secure connect back to CUCM (through the ASA). once connected, it's a CUCM endpoint and your phone.

If you have ever used IP 79xx devices through the ASA for phone Proxy, it slightly similar.

I havent had time myself to set this all up. So Im not sure about the separate server for CUMA.... I thought it was combine in CUCM 7.x

Thanks,

I do get your explanation.

My only point (as a seasoned blackberry developer), is that for Blackberry devices, the ASA is unnecessary, as the data connetion does not need to go over the carriers network, (using TCP/APN), but can go via the BES server.

For Nokia..or any other device.... YES absolutely.. the ASA is required.

Yes, CUMA is a big pain to install.

You need a CUMA server, MS Exchange and Active Directory at a minimum, apart from CUMC 7.

I am in the process of setting it up, and if I do ever succeed, I will post a complete Blow-by-Blow description of how to do it...

Thanks again

So, for the purposes of doing call hold/resume by soft key, or enabling/disabling mobile connect, will the CUMC work without have a full CUMA install?

For basic Mobility,you do not need a separate server. it's built into CUCM 6.x and 7.x.

Yes, that is absolutely corect...

Its just that if you want a "client" instead of DTMF :-

You need CUCM, which needs an ASA and CUMA which needs MSExchange which needs AD ...... etc

Thanks

I believe that ONLY way to get CUMC installed is via CUMA..

CUMC does not come as a Blackberry .cod file for install.

You have to upload the iso image (or what comes in the iso image) to the CUMA server, and then download it via CUMA.

If I am wrong, PLEASE let me know, as I am dying to get only the client peice installed on the device.

Also, if you read the CUMA docs, you will see that CUMC relies on Active Directory for authentication...

So unless you have the whole CUMA installed, you cannot use CUMC...

I hope I a wrong, but thats my conclusion from hours of pouring over the CUMA docs...

Well, think of what the MC is actually doing... it's acting like a SIP end point to CUCM through the ASA proxy. This is initiating the call from CUCM outbound, but from your cell phone using MC.

From what I saw at Cisco, you have this running on your Nokia, ( saw on Nokia) if there is a wifi open access point open or you can connect to, it will automatically make a secure connect back to CUCM (through the ASA). once connected, it's a CUCM endpoint and your phone.

If you have ever used IP 79xx devices through the ASA for phone Proxy, it slightly similar.

I havent had time myself to set this all up. So Im not sure about the separate server for CUMA.... I thought it was combine in CUCM 7.x

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: