Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 VTP VLANS Disappear while in transparent mode

mlouis
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I just ran across an issue I have never seen before. We have a switch configured with about 250 VLANs and SVIs. The switch is configured in VTP transparent mode. Everything has been working fine until this morning we added a couple more vlans. After that we noticed that all but about 80 of the VLANs in the VTP database were missing. Somehow they got erased. No one was in the device since this happened and its configured in trans mode. Any ideas what could have happened? We put the VLANs back in and everything came up fine for now.

Anyone ever heard of something like this happening? Is there a max number of L3 interfaces for 6500?

3 Replies 3

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

To remedy the situation, perform this procedure:

If the links are down for ports because they are assigned to VLANs that no longer exist, put the switch(es) into VTP transparent state and manually configure the VLANs.

http://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWiki/index.php/VLANs_disappear_and_connectivity_is_lost_due_to_the_addition_of_a_new_switch_to_the_network._This_can_cause_amber_or_flashing_LEDs_on_all_ports_in_a_VLAN_across_a_network

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Should support more than that, Mike. Saw your post at "puck" and I'm curious to know what is your IOS version.

I managed >30 6500 (Sup32 and Sup720 running SXF11) and all are Transparent and I'm yet to see this bug show itself.

Interesting indeed!

Someone else on puck ran into the same problem on SXH - twice. I have not seen it rear its head again and TAC can't repeat it yet so we might not get anywhere with this. I will post if something else comes up.

Thanks for all the replies.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card