Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maintaining list of allowed vlans on etherchannel

Hi,

Looks like a typical trivial task, but I still can't find solution in docs.

At the beginning, I had just one link to uplink switch, then added the second one and built etherchannel. I do not undrestand how to modify list of allowed vlans so that to avoid errors. Should i have "switchport" commands on Port-Channel level or Gigabit ethernet level? Where should I apply "spanning-tree" commands?

interface Port-channel1

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,6,21

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

!

interface GigabitEthernet3/1

description link1

switchport

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

channel-group 1 mode on

!

interface GigabitEthernet4/1

description link2

switchport

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

channel-group 1 mode on

!

Thank you in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

You need to apply any configuration changes to your Port-Channel interface, this will update the config on all members within that port channel.

Applying config to a single physical interface could cause it to drop out of the etherchannel.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

You need to apply any configuration changes to your Port-Channel interface, this will update the config on all members within that port channel.

Applying config to a single physical interface could cause it to drop out of the etherchannel.

Hope that helps.

It goes on the " interface port channel" . To add vlans use "switchport trunk allowed vlan add " .

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mihails,

once the etherchannel is up and running do changes only on the port-channel interface.

We had very bad experiences two times for someone trying to add a vlan on a member link: both times a bridging loop formed with extended out of service

The involved devices were C6500 with Sup 720 3B.

So I strongly recommend once the etherchannel is up to makes changes only on the port-channel interface

use the command suggested by Glen:

switchport trunk allowed vlan add x

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: