cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No Netflow, Catalyst 3750?

marcel.felix
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently working on a project that has 30 plus Catalyst 3750G switches in its network solution, the 3750 is a great switch, however one problem the 3750 does not appear to support Netflow!

which is a bit of a problem, will there be a software upgrade in the near future?

Thank you for your time.

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marcel,

C3750 is a multilayer switch: if in designing its internal architecture support for netflow hasn't been introduced the feature will never be supported:

the way it works or a feature is supported in HW or it is not supported at all.

Even C3750 ME MetroEthernet is not able to support netflow

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/catalyst3750m/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swintro.html#wp1068665

Netflow is very useful for monitoring traffic and also it can be used for security.

My understanding is that C3750 is not going to support netflow but let's wait to see if some Cisco netpro can confirm this.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

Thank you for your response.

Marcel..

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marcel,

NetFlow in switches runs on ASICs. In other words, a hardware dedicated for that service needed to be integrated in the switch during its built and requires major chassis/hardware changes.

A software upgrade won't provide this service. It is much easier for Cisco to deploy NetFlow on routers as they are software based devices unlike switches which are hardware based devices.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thank you for your response,

The Catalyst 4507E appears to be the solution needed.

Thanks

Marcel..

Marcel,

As far as the 4507-E, please be aware of the following:

To use the NetFlow feature, you must have the Supervisor Engine V-10GE (the functionality is embedded in the supervisor engine), or the NetFlow Services Card (WS-F4531) and either a Supervisor Engine IV or a Supervisor Engine V.

NetFlow isn't supported under Sup6-E at all.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison,

Good tip,

In fact i was just review the Cisco data on the supervisor V-10GE module.

I will be using redundant supervisor

modules.

Thanks

Marcel...

dmooreami
Level 3
Level 3

Back in 2005 or so, the 3750s would actually take the netflow commands, but give no "netflow". It drove me crazy till I called TAC and they confirmed the hardware wasn't there for netflow, but the IOS image did have it. Hope they have fixed that snfu by now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card